The Smith & Nephew R3 Hip Implant Liner Recall Lawsuit
Smith and Nephew PLC has recalled the metal liner used in its R3 Acetabular System after due to poor performance and reports of injury and complications such as infections, fractures and dislocations. Nearly 8000 patients have been implanted with a Smith & Nephew R3 hip implant. The majority have been used in stemmed total hip replacement.
The company has chosen to withdraw the optional metal liner component within the R3 Acetabular System as a precautionary measure after reviewing recent data collected showing the liner not performing as anticipated. Smith & Nephew indicated the metal liner component within the R3 Acetabular System is “not performing as well as we would like.”
The Smith & Nephew R3 Acetabular Primary Cup System Hip Implant
The R3 Acetabular Cup was manufactured and designed for multiple bearing options, and uses a STIKTITE porous liner to aid in bonding with the bone.
There are three different types of liners used in the R3 Acetabular Hip
- R3 TM Ceramic Acetabular Liner (Ceramic Liner)
- R3 TM Constrained Liner (Acetabular Liner)
- Biolox Forte Liners (Ceramic Liner)
The R3 Forte Ceramic Liners were recalled due to an alleged manufacturing defect. A small number of the liners had titanium rings that were pressed with a higher force than manufacturing specifications allowed causing the liners to weaken. In March 2011, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) announced a recall for the Ceramic liners.
The R3 TM Constrained Liners were recalled after Smith & Nephew received reports from surgeons claiming that the femoral head separated away from the liner during the operation.
Patients implanted with a Smith & Nephew hip implant with a recalled R3 liner may need revision surgery to correct the problem.
Free Smith & Nephew Hip Liner Recall Lawsuit Case Evaluation:
If you or a loved one have suffered or been injured from a defective Smith & Nephew Metal on Metal Hip Implant or needed a hip implant revision surgery you may be entitled to compensation. Contact the Smith & Nephew hip Implant attorneys of Ennis & Ennis today for a free confidential case evaluation by calling toll-free nationwide 1 800 856 6405 or complete the free case evaluation form on this page.
- Smith & Nephew Hip Replacement Lawsuit Filed Over Failed Liner – AboutLawsuits.com (earlsview.com)
- Smith And Nephew Hip Replacement Recall Lawsuit Attorney (earlsview.com)
- Smith & Nephew – Class 2 Recall R3 Constrained Acetabular Liner (earlsview.com)
- Wright Medical Filed Petition to Block Smith & Nephews Metal Implant (earlsview.com)
- Long-Term Health Risks Associated with Genotoxic Nanoparticles Released by Failing Metal-on-Metal Hip Implants (earlsview.com)
- Stryker Lawsuit – Hip Replacement – Rejuvenate, AGB & Trident (earlsview.com)
- Anthony’s BHR hell. Just like DePuy. Come on Mr Smith & your Nephew – own up. (earlsview.com)
- Press release: MHRA tells surgeons to stop using R3 metal cup liner and extends patient monitoring advice : MHRA (earlsview.com)
- Rival Tried to Block FDA Approval of Smith & Nephew’s Birmingham Metal-on-Metal Hip Replacement Device | NewsInferno (earlsview.com)
- Stryker Hip Replacement Recall Second This Year (prweb.com)