August 13 2012, Business, DePuy, Failure rate, Hip Replacement, Industrial Goods and Services, Johnson, Medicine, New York TImes, science
DePuy Hip Implant Claim Update: August 13, 2012 – Maryland Injury Lawyer Blog.
DePuy Hip Implant Claim Update: August 13, 2012
There are thousands of DePuy ASR hip replacement lawsuits, most of them alleging pain and defects that frequently require a revision hip surgery and implantation of a safer device (something that is not a metal-on-metal hip implant). Speaking frankly, I think most plaintiffs’ lawyers consider these DePuy cases to have high settlement and trial value. I really don’t think DePuy/Johnson & Johnson are going to be racing to the courthouse steps to try these cases. I’m betting these cases unfold like the Bayer Yaz cases: a lot of tough talk, but an abject fear of a trial which will lead to massive numbers of settlements.
Anyway, the DePuy ASR hip replacement injury cases, most of them consolidated in a type of class action known as an MDL, are heading to trial. Dates for two bellwether cases have been set—May 6, 2013 for one, and July 8, 2013 for the other.
We don’t know which cases are going to trial yet, only that two trials are set. Among the thousands (4,451 as of July 10) of DePuy hip implant cases filed and consolidated in the United States District Court for the District of Ohio, the lawyers get to pick. The judge has requested that each side choose four cases that they would like to see go to trial. The cases chosen must involve a revision surgery, and must satisfy certain discovery requirements.
Here’s the timeline, according to Case Management Order No. 14:
- August 8, 2012: Each side selects four potential cases.
- November 1, 2012: End of discovery for the eight selected cases. This is not full discovery, but limited discovery to help identify the ideal bellwether cases.
- December 1, 2012: The parties should tell the court which of the eight cases should be bellwether cases. The parties can agree on the cases to be used.
- December 15, 2012: If the parties do not agree on which cases should be bellwether cases, the court will pick four total (two primary cases, and two backup cases).
Additional time will be allocated for specific discovery in the four cases.
The bellwether trials are a vital part of the MDL process. The cases chosen are meant to guide both plaintiffs and defendants in deciding whether hip replacement settlements are possible, and for how much. It is instructive to see how a jury will evaluate these cases. For that reason, the parties oftentimes must fight the urge to pick what they see as the best cases—it is more instructive to choose garden variety cases that are representative of the majority of cases. That said, there is a certain appeal to winning the bellwether cases, even if they are not necessarily representative of the rest of the cases. Winning plays a huge psychological role in how the other side views their chances for the other cases.
If you believe that Johnson & Johnson (the owners of DePuy, the manufacturers of the defective hip implants) was responsible for your hip implant injuries, contact our product liability lawyers at 1.800.553.8083, or online for a free medical-legal consultation. We can help you to find out if these metal-on-metal hip implants were defective and caused you to need additional surgeries, unnecessary pain, or metal poisoning (metallosis).
- US Drug Watchdog Now Urges All DePuy Pinnacle Hip Implant Recipients To Call Them For The Names Of The Best Attorneys Because Of Premature Failures Of This Hip Implant (prweb.com)
- US Drug Watchdog Now Urges All DePuy ASR And DePuy Pinnacle Hip Implant Recipients To Call Them For The Names Of The Best Law Firms Before Time Runs Out For Compensation (prweb.com)
- US Drug Watchdog Now Urges All DePuy Pinnacle Hip Implant Recipients To Call Them For The Names Of The Best Law Firms Out Of Fear This Hip Implant Will Fail Down The Road (prweb.com)
- Thousands Must Have Second Operation to Replace Defective DePuy Hip (blogs.lawyers.com)
Pingback: DePuy Hip Recall Attorneys Release Consumer Protection Guide: ‘What Every DePuy Hip Patient Needs to Know About Broadspire’ – KSWO, Lawton, OK- Wichita Falls, TX: News, Weather, Sports. ABC, 24/7, Telemundo - « Earl's View
Pingback: DePuy ASR Hip Implant Settlements Reached Prior To Jury Trial « Earl's View
Pingback: ‘Toxic’ hip replacement fears – Health – Belfast Newsletter « Earl's View
Pingback: J&J Said to Pay $600,000 to Settle First Suits Over Hips – Businessweek « Earl's View
Pingback: First DePuy Hip Replacement Lawsuits Settled for $200,000 Each « Earl's View
Pingback: ‘Toxic’ hip replacement fears – Health – Bognor Regis Observer « Earl's View
Pingback: Johnson & Johnson settles US hip replacement cases | Irish Examiner « Earl's View
Pingback: Solicitor says DePuy case may affect 600 in Cork | The Cork News « Earl's View
Pingback: Metal-on-Metal Hip Trials Scheduled for 2013 – Florida Mass Tort Attorneys, Lawyers | Searcy Mass Torts « Earl's View
Pingback: Will a 2-year statute of limitations defense curb J&J’s DePuy hip lawsuits? | MassDevice – Medical Device Industry News- page 1 « Earl's View