August 08 2012, Bone Joint Surg Am, Health, Hip Replacement, james c robinson, Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery, knee replacement, Medicine, San Francisco, science, surgery
The Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery | Article.
Variability in Costs Associated with Total Hip and Knee Replacement Implants
J Bone Joint Surg Am, 2012;JBJS Express Article. doi: 10.2106/JBJS.K.00355
Background:Implant costs associated with total hip replacement and total knee replacement procedures account for a large share of total costs and reimbursements to hospitals. Federal policymakers are promoting episode-of-care payment and other value-based delivery and payment reforms in part to encourage physicians and hospitals to cooperate in managing costs for these and other procedures. The present study quantifies the patient, hospital, and market characteristics associated with variation in implant and total procedure costs for hip and knee arthroplasty.
Methods:Clinical, demographic, and economic data were collected on 10,155 unilateral primary total knee replacement procedures and 5013 unilateral primary total hip replacement procedures from sixty-one hospitals in 2008. Variation in implant costs per procedure was measured within and across hospitals. Multivariate statistical analyses were used to measure the association between patient and hospital characteristics and implant costs and total procedure costs.
Results:The average implant cost per case ranged from $1797 to $12,093 for total knee replacement procedures and from $2392 to $12,651 for total hip replacement procedures. For total knee replacement, 2.5% of total variation in device costs was attributable to patient characteristics and 61.0% was attributable to hospital characteristics; the remaining 36.5% of variance was attributable to within-hospital variation not due to patient or hospital characteristics. For total hip replacement, 4.4% of variance was attributed to patient characteristics, 36.1% was attributed to hospital characteristics, and 59.5% was attributed to within-hospital variation not due to patient or hospital characteristics.
Conclusions:There are substantial variations in total hip replacement and total knee replacement implant costs within and across hospitals after controlling for patient diagnoses and comorbidities. This variation is responsible for the majority of variation in the overall cost of total hip and knee replacement surgery.
- Increased heart attack risk associated with total hip, knee replacement surgeries (medicalxpress.com)
- News Headline Story | equities.com (earlsview.com)
- Zimmer Knee Failure | Zimmer Knee Lawyer (earlsview.com)
- Stryker Orthopedics Recalls Metal Hip Implant Components (earlsview.com)
- Bel Marra Health Supports Recent Research that Shows Knee Replacement Patients are More Likely to Suffer Heart Attacks (prweb.com)
- Minimally Invasive Total Hip Replacement Speeds Recovery – Yahoo! News (earlsview.com)
- Early Clinical Experience With the Use of the Birmingham Hip Resurfacing System | Orthopedics (earlsview.com)
- Parker Waichman LLP Learns that British Hip Society Is Advising that Certain Metal-on-Metal Hip Implants Should No Longer Be Used in Total Hip Replacement Surgery (prweb.com)
- Man, 93, undergoes hip replacement successfully – Mumbai – DNA (earlsview.com)
- Chicago-area Orthopaedic Surgeon David Butler Presents Advancements in Total Hip and Knee Replacement on Wednesday, Nov. 10 in Orland Park, Illinois (prweb.com)
Pingback: Alcohol Use in Elective Total Hip Arthroplasty: Risk or Benefit? : CORR – Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research « Earl's View
Pingback: Instability after total hip arthroplasty « Earl's View
Pingback: My tailor-made knee | Health | Express.co.uk – Home of the Daily and Sunday Express « Earl's View
Pingback: New Surgical Approach Allows for Outpatient Total Hip Replacement « Earl's View
Pingback: Knee implants: more evidence needed? « Earl's View
Pingback: Coast mum to get free $25k hip operation Local Gold Coast News | goldcoast.com.au | « Earl's View
Pingback: The case for partial knee replacement | Health & Fitness « Earl's View
Pingback: Acupuncture Reduces Hip Surgery Pain – New Research « Earl's View
Pingback: Hip damages claim rejected — Irish Medical Times « Earl's View
Pingback: Pluristem wins permit for muscle regeneration trial – Globes « Earl's View
Pingback: Stem cell-powered implant set to revolutionise orthopaedic surgery « Earl's View
Pingback: ‘Total knee replacement helps 37 year old Yashodhamma walk on her feet again after 4 years’ « Earl's View
Pingback: Evaluation of Reducing Postoperative Hip Precautions in Total Hip Replacement « Earl's View
Pingback: Nerve palsy associated with total hip replacement « Earl's View
Pingback: WOW!!! Biomet Announces Lifetime Limited Implant Replacement Warranty on Oxford(R) Partial Knee When Implanted with Signature(TM) Personalized Patient Care System – MarketWatch « Earl's View
Pingback: Knee and hip surgery rates increase – Australian Ageing Agenda: Aged Care and Retirement Industry News and Issues « Earl's View