Source: Headline Story | equities.com.
Smith & Nephew launches new hinge knee implant
Comtex News Network
As the hinged knee to be designed using normal knee kinematics, the implant provides a new option for those patients facing difficult primary or revision knee surgery.
For patients, the LEGION HK Hinge Knee has been designed to closely match the knee’s original anatomy while also restoring more normal function. In fact, the design of the implant provides a more natural range of motion while maintaining an average of 96% condylar loading, a design feature shown to remove the stresses from the hinge link for lower wear on the hinge device, the company said.
For surgeons, the LEGION HK Hinge Knee offers simplicity and familiarity. An extension of the LEGION Total Knee System, the LEGION HK allows surgeons to transition intraoperatively from a constrained revision implant to a hinged assembly, thus using a minimal number of instruments and the same simple, reproducible surgical technique they already know, the company added.
“The LEGION HK system is a significant leap forward in treating complex knee revision surgery,” says Dr Kris Alden, Director of Joint Replacement at West Suburban Hospital in Chicago. “Its kinematic and bone sparing design not only alleviates my patients’ symptoms, but also restores an almost natural knee function. Couple that with its ease of use, and it has greatly aided my practice when treating significant bone and ligamentous deficiencies.”
“This signals a real change in the hinge knee landscape,” explains Gaurav Agarwal, DSVP and General Manager for Smith & Nephew’s Advanced Surgical Devices division. “With this implant, we are not only simplifying the procedure, we are transforming these complex surgeries from salvage operations to true joint-rescue procedures.”
- Smith & Nephew Hip Replacement Lawsuit Filed Over Failed Liner – AboutLawsuits.com (earlsview.com)
- GOOD NEWS – Smith and Nephew sees a decline Birmingham hip implant business (earlsview.com)
- Smith and Nephew – time to come clean – more facts, less spin (earlsview.com)
- Smith & Nephew Birmingham hip resurfacing at a mean of ten years (earlsview.com)
- Patients with metal-on-metal hips being contacted after UK officials issue alert | Orthopedics Today (earlsview.com)
- Wright Medical Filed Petition to Block Smith & Nephews Metal Implant (earlsview.com)
- Smith & Nephew R3 Hip Liner Recall Lawyer – Hip Implant Lawsuit Attorney (earlsview.com)
- Smith & Nephew – BHR PMA – FIRST OF A KIND PMA – WHO PULLED WHAT STRINGS???? (earlsview.com)
- Rival Tried to Block FDA Approval of Smith & Nephew’s Birmingham Metal-on-Metal Hip Replacement Device | NewsInferno (earlsview.com)