Journal of Orthopaedic Surgery and Research | Abstract | A comparison of Leg Length and Femoral Offset discrepancies in Hip Resurfacing, Large Head Metal-on-Metal and Conventional Total Hip Replacement: a case series.
A comparison of Leg Length and Femoral Offset discrepancies in Hip Resurfacing, Large Head Metal-on-Metal and Conventional Total Hip Replacement: a case series
Journal of Orthopaedic Surgery and Research 2011,6:65 doi:10.1186/1749-799X-6-65
Published: 29 December 2011
A discrepancy in leg length and femoral offset restoration is the leading cause of patient dissatisfaction in hip replacement surgery and has profound implications on patient quality of life. The aim of this study is to compare biomechanical hip reconstruction in hip resurfacing, large-diameter femoral head hip arthroplasty and conventional total hip replacement.
Sixty patient’s post-operative radiographs were reviewed; 20 patients had a hip resurfacing (HR), 20 patients had a Large Head Metal-on-metal (LHM) hip replacement and 20 patients had a conventional small head Total Hip Replacement (THR). The leg length and femoral offset of the operated and unoperated hips were measured and compared.
Hip resurfacing accurately restored hip biomechanics with no statistical difference in leg length (P=0.07) or femoral offset (P=0.95) between the operated and non-operative hips. Overall HR was superior for reducing femoral offset discrepancies where it had the smallest bilateral difference (-0.2 %, P= 0.9). The traditional total hip replacement was least effective at restoring the hip anatomy.
The use of a larger-diameter femoral head in hip resurfacing does not fully account for the superior biomechanical restoration, as LHM did not restore femoral offset as accurately. We conclude that restoration of normal hip biomechanics is best achieved with hip resurfacing.
The complete article is available as a provisional PDF. The fully formatted PDF and HTML versions are in production.
- JBJS | A Multinational Assessment of Metal-on-Metal Bearings in Hip Replacement (earlsview.com)
- UK surgeon warns public about dangers of all-metal hip implants, especially for women | Depuy Hip Recall (earlsview.com)
- Huddersfield patients affected by faulty hip replacements face more surgery – Local West Yorkshire News – News – Huddersfield Examiner (earlsview.com)
- Total hip replacement for high dislocated hips without femoral shortening osteotomy: (earlsview.com)
- DePuy Hip Replacement Recall – Lawsuit Funding & Settlement Loan (earlsview.com)
- Multidistrict Litigation Is Better Than Joining a Hip Replacement Class Action Lawsuit | DePuy Hip Replacement Lawsuit Information Site (earlsview.com)
- Bryan’s Story – 28 Years Old, Two Hip Replacements – One dud Smith & Nephew BHR (earlsview.com)
- India State FDA Files Complaint against DePuy with Mumbai Police | DePuy Hip Replacement Lawsuit Information Site (earlsview.com)
- J&J Reimburses Thousands to Australians in Recall Claims | DePuy Hip Replacement Lawsuit Information Site (earlsview.com)
- Nancy’s Journey – chronicling her journey through hip replacement surgery and recovery (earlsview.com)
Howard Sadwin said:
Not havig a hip for 19 months, left leg was almost 9 inches longer than my right leg. 10/10/2011 when my new hip was put into me, my left leg was 2 1/8 inches longer. I just received my shoe back after custom orthpedic, inc made a custom lift in my shoe to make up the difference in leg length.
I am learning how to walk again by use of a walker. To date my right quadricept, same side as new hip, has not worked, due to nerve damage. I am encouraged my mind is trying to communicate with the muscle. Time will tell the outcome. I always try to be optimistic. I will walk again is a new years resolution.
Happy New Year!
I am sure your muscles will fire up this year – just like I am sure my nerve damage will finally heal in my right foot! Just takes time!
All the best,
Pingback: ORTHOSupersite Educational Lab: Total Hip Arthroplasty: Using clinical performance to guide implant selection « Earl's View
Pingback: Stuart’s Story (Australia) – No More Hip Replacements Possible « Earl's View
Pingback: Another S&N BHR goes Sour – Brenda’s Story (UK) « Earl's View
Pingback: Katie’s Full Story – Metal on Metal BHR Mess « Earl's View
Pingback: Why my hip replacement was so humbling – The Globe and Mail « Earl's View
Pingback: 91 Year Old Thrives After Hip Replacement Surgery | Lamberts Homecare Advocate Blog « Earl's View
Pingback: Pauline’s horror run with Hip Resurfacing – Metal on Metal « Earl's View
Pingback: Total hip replacement injury pain vs surgical pain… « Earl's View
Pingback: What’s hip and what’s hype in hip surgery by Mr Warwick Radford | totalhealth « Earl's View
Pingback: Serious concerns over Metal on Metal Hips – British Medical Journal « Earl's View
Pingback: BBC News – Surgeons call for end to metal hip replacements « Earl's View
Pingback: JC – Current Issues with my Hip « Earl's View