- Total Hip Arthroplasty: Using clinical performance to guide implant selection
- This supplement features studies and registry data related to Corail and Pinnacle THA components.
- NOTE: Sponsored as an educational service by DePuy Orthopaedics, Inc.
As the population ages and total hip replacement devices and materials continue to evolve, more young patients will undergo total hip arthroplasty (THA). There are numerous options available for both femoral and acetabular components, including the Pinnacle Acetabular Cup System and Corail Hip System (DePuy Orthopaedics, Inc.).
From results presented in 2007 involving 1,183 hips, the overall survival of the Pinnacle cup acetabular component was 99.9%.1 Updated results of this study (May 31, 2011) indicate an all cause (any component) survivorship of 96.1% at 8 years in 1,582 THAs with Pinnacle Cups.2 Importantly, there is data on the specific combination of Corail and Pinnacle. The Joint Registry from England and Wales showed that among 40,879 patients with a Corail and Pinnacle combination, the 5-year survival was 97.7%.3
Surgeons have 25 years of experience with the Corail stem. The Norwegian registry indicates greater than 97% survivorship at 15 years.4 In another study, the 10-year outcomes demonstrated low rates of aseptic loosening and a total reoperation rate below 3%.5
This supplement features studies and registry data related to Corail and Pinnacle THA components. I would like to thank the faculty members for their expertise, as well as DePuy Orthopaedics for sponsoring this Orthopedics Today supplement.
Thomas P. Schmalzried, MD
1. Kindsfater K, Barrett WP, Dowd JE, et al. 99.9% midterm survival of the Pinnacle multi-liner acetabular cup in a prospective multi-center study. Poster #P077 presented at: AAOS Annual Meeting; February 14-18, 2007; San Diego.
2. Barrett W, Kindsfater K. Midterm Survival of the Pinnacle Multi-Liner Acetabular Cup in a Prospective Multi-Center Study. DePuy Internal Data. May 31, 2011.
3. National Joint Registry 8th Annual Report 2011. http://www.njrcentre.org.uk/NjrCentre/Portals/0/Documents/NJR%208th%20Annual%20Report%202011.pdf.
4. Hallan G, Lie SA, Furnes O, Engesaeter LB, Vollset SE, Havelin, LI. Medium- and long-term performance of 11,516 uncemented primary femoral stems from the Norwegian arthroplasty register. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2007;89:1574-1580.
5. Froimson MI, Garino J, Rivkin G. 10-Year USA results: taking it to the new world. In Vidalain JP, Selmi TAS, Beverland D, et al, eds. The CORAIL Hip System: A Practical Approach Based on 25 Years Experience. Berlin: Springer-Verlag; 2004:217.
- Timing of Aquatic Therapy for Knee, Hip Arthroplasty Matters (earlsview.com)
- A comparison of Leg Length and Femoral Offset discrepancies in Hip Resurfacing, Large Head Metal-on-Metal and Conventional Total Hip Replacement (earlsview.com)
- JBJS | Prevalence of Pseudotumor in Asymptomatic Patients After Metal-on-Metal Hip Arthroplasty (earlsview.com)
- J&J Reimburses Thousands to Australians in Recall Claims | DePuy Hip Replacement Lawsuit Information Site (earlsview.com)
- India State FDA Files Complaint against DePuy with Mumbai Police | DePuy Hip Replacement Lawsuit Information Site (earlsview.com)
- THA after intertrochanteric osteotomy results in higher complication rates, lower long-term prosthesis survival rates (earlsview.com)
- US Drug Watchdog Urges All ASR DePuy Hip Implant Recipients to Get Identified and Lists the Most Common Symptoms of a Hip Implant Failure (earlsview.com)
- Aquatic therapy soon after total knee arthroplasty improves outcomes (eurekalert.org)
- DePuy Hip Recall | Pinnacle Hip Recall News (earlsview.com)
- Coloarticular fistula: A rare complication of revision total hip arthroplasty (earlsview.com)