Plaintiff Claims His Metal Poisoning Preceded DePuy Hip Recall
In recent DePuy hip recall news, plaintiff Michael R. Wheeler has filed a DePuy hip recall lawsuit against DePuy Orthopaedics and distributor Premier Orthopaedic Sales, alleging that the DePuy ASR hip implant is defective, and that it caused him to suffer metal poisoning and to undergo revision surgery following implant failure. The DePuy hip recall lawsuit was filed in Cook County, Illinois on November 29, 2011.
Wheeler states in his complaint that he received his ASR implant on September 12, 2007, before the company’s 2010 voluntary DePuy hip recall of its ASR hip product. Having filed his case in the circuit court of Cook County, Illinois, Wheeler joins many other plaintiffs who claim serious complications involving the DePuy ASR and the DePuy Pinnacle hips, though a Pinnacle hip recall has not been announced.
DePuy hip recall lawsuit claims hip failure and metal poisoning
DePuy hip recall news reports have focused on several lawsuits claiming early hip implant failure and metal poisoning. Wheeler is another example of a plaintiff who alleges that, shortly after his surgery, he started to suffer pain and discomfort in his ASR hip. According to his DePuy hip recall lawsuit, he also experienced elevated levels of cobalt and chromium in his bloodstream, caused by metal fragments that allegedly wore off the metal-on-metal ASR implant during normal wear and tear.
Wheeler’s surgeon determined the implant, which was the subject of the joint manufacturer’s voluntary 2010 DePuy hip recall, had failed. On October 5, 2011, Wheeler underwent revision surgery to remove the allegedly defective DePuy ASR component and replace it with another device. According to his DePuy hip recall lawsuit, Wheeler’s recovery from the replacement surgery has been long and painful.
Metal poisoning alleged in DePuy hip recall lawsuits, Pinnacle lawsuits
Cases of metal poisoning have not been limited to those plaintiffs filing a DePuy hip recall lawsuit concerning the ASR implant. Other patients who received the metal-on-metal Pinnacle hip implant have also complained of metal poisoning. The FDA has not indicated however that it will implement a Pinnacle hip recall.
Regardless of whether a Pinnacle hip recall will ever be a possibility, DePuy hip lawsuit news reports have tracked the progress of the current multidistrict litigation (MDL) surrounding the Pinnacle hip device in the Northern District of Texas. Plaintiffs whose cases have been consolidated in the Texas MDL are seeking damages for their injuries, suffering, medical expenses and lost wages. These plaintiffs have chosen with the aide of a DePuy hip lawyer, to file suit despite the fact that the FDA has not, nor may ever, initiate a Pinnacle hip recall.
- DePuy Pinnacle Hip Replacement Lawyers Meeting With MDL Judge (earlsview.com)
- Will the DePuy Pinnacle Bring the Next Wave of Lawsuits? (earlsview.com)
- J&J Third Quarter Earnings Report: Approximately 560 DePuy Pinnacle Lawsuits Filed (earlsview.com)
- Crucial Documents Could Determine DePuy Hip Replacement Lawsuit Results (earlsview.com)
- DePuy Pinnacle Implants May Cause Same Problems as Defective ASR Implants (earlsview.com)
- DePuy Metal on Metal Hip Implant Lawsuit News – Hip replacement poisoning (earlsview.com)
- US Drug Watchdog Says It’s Urgent They Identify All Recalled DePuy ASR Hip Implant Recipients (earlsview.com)
- DePuy Hip Recall Takes Toll on Johnson & Johnson Finances (earlsview.com)
- US Drug Watchdog Now Says It Is Critical For All Recipients Of The ASR DePuy Hip Implant To Get Identified Even If The Hip Implant Has Yet To Fail (prweb.com)
- Rottenstein Law Group Heeds Common Benefit Order in DePuy ASR MDL – Yahoo! News (earlsview.com)