Prevalence of Pseudotumor in Asymptomatic Patients After Metal-on-Metal Hip Arthroplasty
The Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery. 2011; 93:2164-2171 doi:10.2106/JBJS.J.01884
Results:Ten patients (32%) in the metal-on-metal total hip arthroplasty group had a solid or cystic mass, with another three patients (10%) having a substantial fluid collection. Five patients (25%) in the hip resurfacing arthroplasty group had a solid or cystic mass, with another patient (5%) having a fluid collection. Pseudotumor formation was significantly more frequent in the metal-on-metal total hip arthroplasty group compared with the metal-on-polyethylene total hip arthroplasty group (p = 0.015). We did not detect a significant correlation between the serum metal ion levels and the size of pseudotumor abnormality. The median serum metal ion level was greater in patients with pseudotumor formation than it was in those without pseudotumor formation, but the difference was not significant.
Conclusions:We recommend high-resolution ultrasound surveillance of all asymptomatic patients with a metal-on-metal implant that is known to result in high serum metal ion levels. Once a metal-on-metal implant is known to be associated with high serum metal ions, the measurement of ion levels does not helpfully contribute to surveillance.
Level of Evidence:Therapeutic Level II. See Instructions for Authors for a complete description of levels of evidence.
- MHRA Advice for Patients (earlsview.com)
- UK – Advice for GP’s – Hip Joint Replacements (earlsview.com)
- The Sciatic Nerve and Your DePuy Hip Implant | Levin Papantonio Law Firm (earlsview.com)
- 7 Critical Orthopedic and Spine Device Industry Trends (earlsview.com)
- New Zealand National Joint Registry Eleven Years Data Jan 1999 – 2009 (earlsview.com)
- Rottenstein Law Group Warns of Increased Risk of Cardiac Danger for Middle-Aged Men Who Have Received a Recalled DePuy ASR Hip Implant (prweb.com)
- Birmingham Hip Resurfacing or Surface Replacement Arthroplasty (BHR) With Stem (earlsview.com)
- Associate Professor Michael J. Neil – Doesn’t Recommend Resurfacing (earlsview.com)
- Future of Hip replacement may include more resurfacing, percutaneous fixation (earlsview.com)
- Options for Hip Replacements – different materials (earlsview.com)