Researchers have found that the metal-on-metal hip implant is associated with a 1.29% failure rate, according to the National Joint Registry of England and Wales. A separate analysis of data from the Australian Orthopaedic Association’s National Joint Replacement Registry linked the Birmingham to a 1.12% failure rate.
It is difficult for researchers in the United States to determine the failure rate of the Birmingham, because the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) lacks a tracking system for medical devices. The FDA only keeps a database of voluntarily-submitted adverse event reports.
Smith & Nephew is also reminding healthcare professionals about several factors that increase the risk of hip implant failure and revision surgery. The risk of failure increase for patients who receive smaller component sizes (less than 46-mm), patients who require implantation at a high abduction angle, patients with osteonecrosis (bone death) in the hip, or other problems in their hip. Women of childbearing age and people who are severely obese have a higher risk of hip implant failure.
The company warns that patients who absolutely should not get a Birmingham hip implant include those with osteoporosis (bone loss), metabolic disorders such as kidney failure, muscle atrophy/weakness, lack of bone or soft tissue in the hip area, infection anywhere in the body, or a pre-existing metal sensitivity.
The safety communication warns about the risk of serious health complications. Metal-on-metal hip implants are facing heightened scrutiny by regulators around the world. The products can shed particles of metal into the body, which increases the risk of pain, inflammation, metal poisoning, and severe irritation of surrounding tissues and bone. This can cause the formation of soft-tissue lesions, pseudo-tumors, and fluid collections. Patients may require revisions surgery to remove, replace, or repair the implant.
Do I have a Birmingham Hip Implant Lawsuit?
The Schmidt Firm, LLP is currently accepting Smith & Nephew Birmingham hip implant induced injury cases in all 50 states. If you or somebody you know has been injured by a Birmingham hip implant, you should contact our lawyers immediately for a free case consultation. Please use the form below to contact our Defective Medical Device Litigation Group or call toll free 24 hours a day at (866) 920-0753.
Attention Lawyers: We consider a referral from another law firm to be one of the greatest compliments. If your firm is interested in referring us a case or for us to send you a list of previous award judgments and/or average referral fees, please visit the Lawyer Referral section of our website.
- Smith & Nephew Birmingham Hip Implant Lawsuit
- Stryker Hip Lawyer
- Stryker Hip Implant Recall 2013
- DePuy Pinnacle Hip Implant Lawsuit
- 3,202 DePuy Pinnacle Hip Implant Lawsuits Filed
Free Case Evaluation
The Schmidt Firm, LLP has been recognized as one of the nation’s leading plaintiff’s law firms and handles cases in all 50 states. We are very proud of our legal achievements, but equally self-respecting of our firms reputation for providing personal attention to each and every client we represent.
No matter what type of case you have, you may contact us with confidence by filling out the email contact form below or calling us directly by dialing toll free 24 hrs/day (866) 920-0753.
- Looks like BS, Smells like BS, Must be BS…. Hip Study: Smith & Nephew touts study results for new metal-on-metal implants | MassDevice – Medical Device Industry News (earlsview.com)
- DePuy ASR Hip Recipient Feared for His Life before Revision Surgery (earlsview.com)
- J&J Failed to Warn of Metal Hip Implant Flaws, Lawyers Argue (earlsview.com)
- DePuy Pinnacle Hip Replacement Lawsuits: Bernstein Liebhard LLP Comments on New Study Finding that Hip Replacement Failure More Likely in Women (earlsview.com)
- RLG Responds to Report of Higher Metal-on-Metal Hip Replacement Failure Rates in Women (earlsview.com)
- Metal-on-metal hip implant risks ‘unique’ – Health – CBC News (earlsview.com)
- When Doctors Keep Quiet about Dangerous Hip Devices (earlsview.com)
- Iowa Resident Brings Suit Against Stryker For Damages Caused By Recalled Hip Implant – News Press Release | PharmiWeb.com (earlsview.com)
- San Diego Chargers team doctor sues Smith & Nephew over botched hip implant | MassDevice – Medical Device Industry News (earlsview.com)
- Laurel’s Story – Smith & Nephew BHR Hip Resurfacing Ruins Another Life (earlsview.com)