Faulty hip implants have ruined lives says Orthopaedic Professor
As the Telegraph investigates the licensing process for hip implants, Professor Tom Joyce of Newcastle University explains some of the problems that can arise from poorly designed or manufactured prosthetics.
See the video in the original article here http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/9626757/Faulty-hip-implants-have-ruined-lives-says-Orthopaedic-Professor.html
For the patients that Professor Joyce meets, the consequences of a hip replacement which fails are devastating: “Often, especially with these metal on metal hips, they have been in pain, there’s been swelling. I’ve even had some cases where adults have ended up back at home with their (elderly) parents looking after them.”
As Professor of Orthopaedic Engineering at Newcastle University, Prof Joyce has seen hundreds of hip replacement joints that have failed after being implanted and had to be removed.
There are three main faults which Prof Joyce sees recurring and they all relate to wear on the hip joint causing material to rub off the prosthetic and be absorbed by the body leading to potential tissue damage and infection.
“You can get metal wear from the cup (the replacement socket for the hip) and the head (the new ball joint) and unfortunately we are just discovering that a third source of metallic wear can be inside where the head fits on the taper of the long stem (the piece of metal which is fixed to the leg),” explained Prof Joyce.
- Faulty hip implants have ruined lives says Orthopaedic Professor (telegraph.co.uk)
- First faulty hip implants case brought | Irish Examiner (earlsview.com)
- Metal-on-Metal Hip Implants: Should You Be Worried? (earlsview.com)
- ‘Toxic’ hip replacement fears – Health – Belfast Newsletter (earlsview.com)
- Hip Resurfacing | Hip Replacement Alternatives | Arthritis Today (earlsview.com)
- Engineering a Better Hip Implant (earlsview.com)
- Smith & Nephew Withdraw THR version of BHR – Warning issued about hip implant (earlsview.com)
- Hip Replacement Found Safer for Women Than Resurfacing – Bloomberg (earlsview.com)
- Australia – Walking wounded: many unaware of faulty implants (earlsview.com)
- ‘Toxic’ hip replacement fears – Health – Bognor Regis Observer (earlsview.com)