Medsafe says it has received another alert for a metal-on-metal hip implant device but patients‘ health is not at risk.
27 October 2012
More hip-replacement patients are being contacted after the fifth international alert for metal-on-metal implants in two years.
The medical regulatory agency Medsafe said it had been advised the Durom acetabular cup, which was used in 252 hip implants in New Zealand from 2003 but had been discontinued by its manufacturer in June 2011, might wear out earlier than expected.
Medsafe group manager Dr Stewart Jessamine said patients’ health was not at risk but some people might need a second implant sooner than thought.
“There is a greater awareness by manufacturers and regulators about these devices, which is why we are seeing more of these alerts,” he said.
Medsafe would continue to work with manufacturers to ensure surgeons were fully informed and followed up with their patients.
“If patients have any concerns or experience any discomfort or pain, they should see their GP or surgeon, as they normally would following any surgery on a joint.”
Metal-on-metal implants had been used in around 8 per cent of hip operations in the past decade and that rate was declining, Medafe said.
The five alerts involve around 1300 patients.
- Hazard alert – Durom Acetabular Cup – New Zealand Doctor (earlsview.com)
- Alert issued for another hip implant – 04-Oct-2012 – NZ Health & Safety news (earlsview.com)
- Radio New Zealand : News : National : Hip implant probe sparks call for better NZ system (earlsview.com)
- NZ – Hip replacement implant inquiry a no-brainer – Street | Voxy.co.nz (earlsview.com)
- Warning Over Birmingham Hip Modular Head (BHMH)… | Stuff.co.nz (earlsview.com)
- NZ – Metal on Metal – Smith & Nephew – Medsafe hip device statement | Scoop News (earlsview.com)
- New hazard alert for hip implant (radionz.co.nz)
- Video: Faulty hip implants have ruined lives says Orthopaedic Professor – Telegraph (earlsview.com)
- First faulty hip implants case brought | Irish Examiner (earlsview.com)
- US Drug Watchdog Now Urges All DePuy Pinnacle All Metal Hip Implant Recipients To Call Them For The Names Of The Best Law Firms Because They Fear Premature Failures (prweb.com)