Hip replacement implant inquiry a no-brainer – Street
Thursday, 4 October, 2012 – 09:42
Labour’s Health spokesperson Maryan Street is renewing her call for an urgent inquiry into the safety of metal-on-metal hip replacement devices following fears another product used in New Zealand is faulty.
“This is the fourth time in three years that there has been worldwide action taken over these components, and the second since June.
“Yet despite more than 6000 Kiwis having had these metal-on-metal implants the Government is doing nothing to prevent similar problems arising in the future.
“In fact National MPs on the health select committee have previously blocked my calls for a full inquiry into these devices and their defects.
“Given the huge concern about the risks from these devices – and they are obviously greater and more widespread than previously thought – it seems only sensible and responsible to hold a full inquiry, looking into procedures around the acceptability of the implants, better and more comprehensive advice to all potentially affected patients and a check by the Ministry of Health that these patients have been approached by their surgeons.
“Currently we have a system where Medsafe alerts surgeons about an international recall notice via email, asks them to contact affected patients and advises them that patients may need better monitoring.
“It is vital that the Ministry ensures surgeons have provided follow up contact and that information has not been left to sit in surgeons’ in-boxes as has previously been the case,” said Maryan Street.
- Hundreds of faulty hip replacements (nzherald.co.nz)
- Ban ‘failing’ hip resurfacing implants for women, say surgeons | Mail Online (earlsview.com)
- Biomet Issues Addressed at FDA Meeting (earlsview.com)
- New Zealand – Medical Devices – Medsafe Guidelines for MoM hips (earlsview.com)
- Hip Resurfacing Draws Warning After Study Published in Lancet – NYTimes.com (earlsview.com)
- US Drug Watchdog Now Offers All DePuy Pinnacle All Metal Hip Implant Recipients The Direct Contacts Law Firms-They Fear Widespread Premature Failures That Could Be 50% (prweb.com)
- Metal-on-Metal hip Implants Can Corrode | FDA Reports (earlsview.com)
- Toward a better material for hip replacement and other joint implants (earlsview.com)
- Australia – Sky News: Hip replacements should be checked – TGA (earlsview.com)
- Hip replacement method ‘unacceptable’ for women (telegraph.co.uk)