DePuy, Food & Drug Administration, Google, Hip Replacement, Johnson, metal, NephewSmith, UNited States
Metal-on-Metal hip Implants Can Corrode | FDA Reports.
Metal-on-Metal hip Implants Can Corrode
At the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) meeting about hip implant devices in July, Dr. Jeremy L. Gilbert presented information about dangerous corrosion that may occur in metal-on-metal implants.
Corrosion happens when a chemical reaction gradually destructs a metal. This is currently happening inside patients’ bodies and leading to hip replacement complications and life-threatening health issues.
The metal components of a metal-on-metal hip corrode when they rub together and become “stressed, abraded, worn or fretted.” As soon as the components wear through the surface of the metal, the corrosion is rapid and unstoppable. The ions released by the worn-down metal can cause serious problems in the body, such as metal poisoning, tissue necrosis and a bone dissolving process called osteolysis.
Stainless steel, cobalt, chromium and titanium – the metals used in metal-on-metal hip implants – are all susceptible to corrosion. Researchers have known about modular implant corrosion since the 1980s, and all current metal combinations in metal-on-metal implants are known to have this reaction, according to Dr. Gilbert. Hip implant failure will continue to happen as long as these metal hip implants are on the market.
When batteries corrode, we buy new ones and replace them. That’s not so easy with a hip implant. Hip replacement failure leads to painful revision surgery and more recovery time. Patients who are suffering from complications due to a defective hip implant are urged to speak to a hip recall lawyer immediately.
- FDA Presentation Describes Corrosion of Metal Hip Implants (earlsview.com)
- Where are the Transvaginal Mesh Studies Requested by the FDA? – Florida Mass Tort Attorneys, Lawyers | Searcy Mass Torts (earlsview.com)
- YAHOO – Smith & Nephew Birmingham Hip Lawsuit Filed Over Metal Poisoning – AboutLawsuits.com (earlsview.com)
- No early link between all-metal hip implants and cancer-study | Reuters (earlsview.com)
- Troubled Hip Implants Require Additional Patient Monitoring | Goldberg & Osborne (earlsview.com)
- Engineering a Better Hip Implant (earlsview.com)
- DePuy ASR Hip Implant Settlements Reached Prior To Jury Trial (earlsview.com)
- Stryker Orthopedics Recalls Metal Hip Implant Components (earlsview.com)
- All-metal hips ‘wear down faster’ – Health – Warwick Courier (earlsview.com)
- ‘Toxic’ hip replacement fears – Health – Belfast Newsletter (earlsview.com)
Pingback: GOT-CHA — Hips: Smith & Nephew issues failure warning on Birmingham metal-on-metal hips | MassDevice – Medical Device Industry News « Earl's View
Pingback: Orthopedic startup in Indiana aims to sell cheaper, more durable total hip implant | MedCity News « Earl's View
Pingback: This is AMAZING – Implanted Eye Device « Earl's View
Pingback: Hundreds of NZ hip replacements are faulty – National – NZ Herald News « Earl's View
Pingback: NZ – Hip replacement implant inquiry a no-brainer – Street | Voxy.co.nz « Earl's View
Pingback: Alert issued for another hip implant – 04-Oct-2012 – NZ Health & Safety news « Earl's View
Pingback: Smith & Nephew Withdraw THR version of BHR – Warning issued about hip implant « Earl's View
Pingback: What Happened to the FDA Request for More Hip Implant Studies? – Florida Mass Tort Attorneys, Lawyers | Searcy Mass Torts « Earl's View
Pingback: Stephanie’s Metal on Metal Systemic Problems « Earl's View