Hunt vows to tackle hip implant scam
(AFP) – 2 days ago
LONDON — Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt has vowed to crack down on a “completely unacceptable weakness in the regulatory system” which allowed potentially dangerous artificial hips to be implanted in patients.
Hunt admitted that an investigation by the Daily Telegraph and the British Medical Journal had revealed that patients were being put at risk by the import of substandard artificial hips and other medical devices.
One Hungarian regulatory body told undercover reporters how to use a “front address” in the European Union to convince buyers that products were made on the continent.
“Like many people, I was shocked and appalled to read in the Telegraph yesterday that a regulator in Europe said that it was ‘on the side of the manufacturer’ when it comes to licensing products — such as hip replacements,” Hunt wrote in the paper.
“These words undermine everything I believe about the health sector in Britain.”
- Faulty medical implants investigation: Patients at risk from flaws in medical device rules, admit EU chiefs – Telegraph (earlsview.com)
- Hip implant probe sparks call for better NZ system (radionz.co.nz)
- UK – Jeremy Hunt: I will not tolerate British patients being put at risk – Telegraph (earlsview.com)
- First faulty hip implants case brought | Irish Examiner (earlsview.com)
- Dodgy medical implants getting approved – EasyBlog (earlsview.com)
- Video: Faulty hip implants have ruined lives says Orthopaedic Professor – Telegraph (earlsview.com)
- Faulty medical implants investigation: ‘We can help you label it European so China is not on packaging’ – Telegraph (earlsview.com)
- Faulty medical implants investigation: Patients being put at risk by implants scam, says Jeremy Hunt (telegraph.co.uk)
- US Drug Watchdog Now Urges All Recipients Of A Recalled DePuy ASR Hip Implant To Call Them For The Names Of The Best Possible Law Firms Before Time Runs Out (prweb.com)
- US Drug Watchdog Now Urges All DePuy Pinnacle All Metal Hip Implant Recipients To Call Them For The Names Of The Best Law Firms Because They Fear Premature Failures (prweb.com)