Craig White, DePuy, Hip Replacement, hip resurfacing, Launceston General Hospital, Royal Hobart Hospital, Stryker, Tasmania
Dodgy hips in recall Today’s News – The Mercury – The Voice of Tasmania.
MATT SMITH | May 07, 2012 12.01am
Department of Health and Human Services chief health officer Dr Craig White.
SEVERAL Tasmanians could have received dodgy hip replacement parts that are subject to a national recall.
About 600 Australians may be affected by the recall of the MITCH TRH modular head or resurfacing femoral head and the MITCH TRH acetabular cup.
The components are used in different combinations for hip resurfacing or total hip replacements.
State and federal government departments have been unable to say how many Tasmanians have been affected by the recall.
American company Stryker, responsible for the hip parts, told the Mercury about 14 of the hip components were sold in Tasmania.
Department of Health and Human Services chief health officer Dr Craig White said the Royal Hobart Hospital and the Launceston General Hospital were listed on the product alert for the hip components.
“Two patients received the hips in 2007 at the LGH and these patients are being followed up by their orthopaedic surgeon so that their condition can be effectively monitored,” Dr White said.
“The RHH is currently undertaking an audit … to determine the use of this product and any patients affected will be contacted.”
Stryker spokeswoman Jeanine Guilfoyle said 14 MITCH TRH Modular Head were implants sold in Tasmania in 2007 but she did say: “The number of implantations is typically less than sales.”
Dr White said patients who are aware of having a MITCH TRH modular head as one of the components of their hip replacement, should contact their implanting surgeon to arrange the next scheduled review appointment, if they do not already have an appointment scheduled.
- Hip Replacement Crisis in Europe Causes Demand for Medical Device Registry (earlsview.com)
- DePuy ASR Hip Lawsuit | DePuy Hip Lawyer (earlsview.com)
- Whitehall man with two defective hip implants wants to be heard by the FDA – mcall.com (earlsview.com)
- UK ALERT – MITCH TRH acetabular cups/MITCH TRH modular heads (earlsview.com)
- US Drug Watchdog Now Offers To Help All Recalled DePuy ASR Hip Implant Recipients (earlsview.com)
- Metal-on-Metal Hip Implants – Advisories, Warnings & Recalls for the public (earlsview.com)
- Hip Replacement Surgery-Physiotherapy-Exercises-Ergonomic-Do’s-and-Don’ts | Medindia (earlsview.com)
- What is the Status of Biomet Metal on Metal Hip Replacements | PA Law Blogs (earlsview.com)
- Eric Bohm: Let’s Treat Our Hips the Same Way We Treat Our Cars (earlsview.com)
- Willowbrook Man Pain-Free After New Direct Anterior Approach Hip Surgery – Downers Grove news, photos and events – TribLocal.com (earlsview.com)
Pingback: Hip replacement and resurfacing equally effective at improving joint function | Arthritis Research UK « Earl's View
Pingback: Kathryn’s Story – More Smith & Nephew Birmingham Hip Resurfacing Misery… « Earl's View
Pingback: Jack’s call for help – Legal help sought – Cormet Hip -Isn’t there some way to get beyond PMA preemptive device approval? « Earl's View
Pingback: STRYKER REJUVENATE HIP IMPLANT RECALLED | West Palm Beach Personal Injury Attorneys Blog « Earl's View
Pingback: Stryker recalls two metal-on-metal hip products for fear of corrosion « Earl's View