What is the Status of Biomet Metal on Metal Hip Replacements
Biomet Hip Replacement Has Similarities to Other Metal on Metal Hip Replacements
The FDA is currently reviewing the safety and effectiveness of all metal on metal hip replacements. As with other manufacturers’ metal on metal hip replacements, Biomet MoM devices work with metal balls that moves against metal cups. While metal on metal devices were designed to improve wear and extend the life of a hip replacement device, there is some concern that metal on metal hip replacements may fail earlier than other types of hip replacements and put patients’ health at risk.
Concerns About Biomet Hip Replacements Have Been Raised
The safety of metal-on-metal hip replacement by Biomet has been questioned. The number of adverse reports concerning Biomet hip replacements has increased over the past few years. Additionally, lawsuits have been filed alleging that these metal on metal hip replacements are prematurely failing and putting patients in pain and/or at risk.
While the FDA and others continue to investigate the safety of Biomet hip replacements, and other types of metal on metal hip replacements, it is important to talk to your surgeon about the device that is right for you and about what to do if you experience any complications.
- Howard Sadwin’s Suffering from Metal-on-Metal Hip Implant | Mesh Medical Device Newsdesk (earlsview.com)
- BBC News – Surgeons call for end to metal hip replacements (earlsview.com)
- Study prompts call for wider ban on metal hips | Reuters (earlsview.com)
- All-Metal Hip Replacements: Not All Patients Informed of Recall | Qmed (earlsview.com)
- Press release: MHRA updates advice for metal-on-metal hip replacements : MHRA (earlsview.com)
- Novel – Dual Pivot Hip | Hip Replacement, Total Hip Replacement | Total Joint Joint (earlsview.com)
- Tens of thousands of British patients with metal hip replacements at risk of being poisoned (earlsview.com)
- Hip patients: Why weren’t we told? – National – NZ Herald News (earlsview.com)
- Biomet Magnum Horror Story – Stacey’s View (earlsview.com)
- Metal-on-Metal Hip Implants > Concerns about Metal-on-Metal Hip Implant Systems (earlsview.com)