Willowbrook Man Pain-Free After New Direct Anterior Approach Hip Surgery
WILLOWBROOK, IL — May 8, 2012
Immediately after orthopedic surgeon Dr. Steven Louis performed Direct Anterior Approach hip replacement surgery on Gregory Kozak, 57, of Willowbrook, he was able to walk comfortably. Within a month, he was back to work in a 100,000 square foot machine shop, where he’s on his feet most of the day enjoying his work as a maintenance technician.
“I’m a self-proclaimed workaholic,” Gregory explains, “and my hip was shot before the surgery. I’d just put too much strain on it over the years. The pain was the worst at night. Every joint — from my back to my toes — ached in tremendous pain. Now, I feel absolutely pain free – no pain whatsoever.”
Gregory rebounded so quickly because the Direct Anterior Approach allowed Dr. Louis to reach the hip joint from the front of the hip (as opposed to the side or posterior, which is typical in traditional hip replacement surgery). This technique allows a hip replacement to be completed without detaching muscle from the pelvis or femur. Consequently, the important gluteal muscles, which play a key role in hip function, are less affected than with traditional hip replacement surgery.
Dr. Louis performs his surgeries at Good Samaritan Hospital in Downers Grove, and now trains other Hinsdale Orthopaedic surgeons in this specialized technique. To date, he has performed over 400 successful Direct Anterior Approach procedures on Chicago and Northwest Indiana area patients.
“Gregory was a perfect candidate for this new procedure because he was in terrible pain and wanted to get back to the work that he loves as soon as possible,” Dr. Louis explains. “This less-invasive approach is much easier on the patient because there is less tissue and muscle damage involved in the surgery.”
Gregory dealt with his pain for a long time and had a doctor tell him not to get anything replaced until he absolutely had to. “But here’s my question, — how do you know when you have to? If I had known sooner that the surgery was going to be this easy, I would have done this several years ago. When I sat down with Dr. Louis we discussed all aspects of my surgery and I felt totally comfortable with all his recommendations.” Before Gregory left his office during the consultation, he had a surgery date scheduled.
Since the procedure, Gregory has recommended Dr. Louis and the Direct Anterior Approach hip replacement surgery to several other potential patients. “I’ve got people at work telling me I walk too fast now,” he chuckled. “Everyone has been in awe about my speedy recovery, myself included. The whole experience was wonderful, painless and quick. Dr. Louis and his entire team at Hinsdale Orthoapedics were great … even the food at the hospital was great. You think I’m kidding, but I’m not. I’m just so glad to have my life back.”
Gregory continues to feel great and enjoys the same, active lifestyle he enjoyed before his hip pain began.
Free Informational Seminar
Dr. Steven Louis of Hinsdale Orthopaedics is hosting a free seminar for patients interested in learning more about the Direct Anterior Approach to hip replacement surgery on Wednesday, May 30, 6:30 pm at the Westin Lombard Hotel in the Yorktown Shopping Center Mall (70 Yorktown Shopping Center Drive, Lombard, IL 60148). To register, please call 630.330.6025. This event is free and open to the public.
To learn more about Dr. Louis and the Direct Anterior Approach to hip replacement, visit http://anterior-hip-surgery.com/hip/hip-arthritis/surgical-treatment/direct-anterior-approach-surgery/ or http://www.hinsdale-orthopaedics.com
- Failure Rates High in All-Metal Hip Implants, Not Just DePuy (earlsview.com)
- Arizona Surgeon Performs Hip Replacement Surgery with Fast Recovery, Less Pain (prweb.com)
- North West Evening Mail | News | Barrow patient tells of his hip replacement ordeal (earlsview.com)
- Finding the Right Solution for Joint Pain | Piper Shores News & Events (earlsview.com)
- Judge consolidates Wright Conserve hip replacements into MDL | Consumer Drug Report | For Informed Drug Consumers (earlsview.com)
- Chicago-area Orthopaedic Surgeon David Butler Presents Advancements in Total Hip and Knee Replacement on Wednesday, Nov. 10 in Orland Park, Illinois (prweb.com)
- Unique Table Aides Orthopedic Surgeon to Replace Hip Allowing for Quick Recovery (prweb.com)
- All About Hip Replacement Surgery (pinnaclelawsuit.typepad.com)
- Hip Replacement System Recall Raises Serious Liability Questions, According to Oakland Personal Injury Attorney (prweb.com)
- A Red Letter Day for Writers Who are Also Hip Replacement Survivors! (theauthorlink.wordpress.com)