Stryker recalls two metal-on-metal hip products for fear of corrosion
In another hit to the safety of metal-on-metal hip replacements, Stryker announced Friday that it is voluntarily recalling two metal-on-metal hip products prompted by fears of corrosion.
In late June, the Food and Drug Administration conducted hearings to determine the safety of metal-on-metal hip replacements. The scrutiny comes from mounting evidence that these products appear to fail early, often cause swelling and pain, among other complications. Sometimes surgeons have to perform a revision surgery. The webcasts of the two days of FDA hearings can be seen here and here.
In a website meant to communicate with patients who either have a Stryker hip or one of the two recalled products, Stryker says the incidence of complications arising out of these products is “extremely low.” Still it advised patients who have these implants to contact their surgeon.
In the FDA database that tracks adverse events, there are multiple reports associated with the Rejuvenate neck stemthat show that many patients suffered pain, swelling and required revision surgery.
- STRYKER REJUVENATE HIP IMPLANT RECALLED | West Palm Beach Personal Injury Attorneys Blog (earlsview.com)
- Stryker recalls two metal-on-metal hip products for fear of corrosion (medcitynews.com)
- Stryker Recalls Two Metal-on-Metal Hip Components Due to Corrosion Concerns (prweb.com)
- Stryker Issues U.S. and Canada Recall for Rejuvenate Modular Hip Device (defectivedruganddeviceresourcecenter.com)
- Biomet M2a Magnum Metal-on-Metal Hip Replacement Lawsuit (earlsview.com)
- The US Drug Watchdog Now Offers To Find The Best Possible Attorneys For All Recipients Of The Recalled DePuy ASR Hip Metal on Metal Hip Implant-Before Time Runs Out (prweb.com)
- Early Clinical Experience With the Use of the Birmingham Hip Resurfacing System | Orthopedics (earlsview.com)
- Safety Of All-Metal Hip Implants Under US Scrutiny – International Business Times (earlsview.com)
- FiDA Failed Implant Device Alliance (earlsview.com)
- Dodgy hips in recall Today’s News – The Mercury – The Voice of Tasmania (earlsview.com)