Class action, DePuy, Hip Replacement, hip resurfacing, Johnson, pain, Patient, UKPA
DePuy ASR ‘Poster lady’ sues hip implant firm
A former gymnast who was a “poster lady” for a hip resurfacing implant is taking legal action against its manufacturer after it left her in severe pain.
Penny Brown is joining a group action by more than 300 UK patients against DePuy – part of Johnson & Johnson – after doctors said she would need further surgery because the implant had worn prematurely.
The Articular Surface Replacement (ASR) was available to patients on the NHS and globally, but was withdrawn last year in a worldwide recall.
Patients have complained of a range of symptoms, including pain, while doctors have noticed high revision rates following operations.
Thousands of patients in countries worldwide are taking class action suits against DePuy.
Ms Brown, 51, who lives near Bath, agreed to advertise the ASR after undergoing an operation in 2004 to relieve her from constant pain caused by arthritis.
“I was advised to have the ASR resurfacing procedure rather than a total hip replacement on the basis that it would last much longer, be safer and reduce the likelihood of further surgery during my lifetime,” she said.
Initially, ASR transformed her life so much so that she agreed to become DePuy’s “poster lady”.
But in 2009, Ms Brown, who developed osteoarthritis in both hips in her early 40s, started to experience groin pain. The pain gradually got worse and she was told she must undergo further surgery due to the ASR system wearing out prematurely.
A spokeswoman for DePuy said: “DePuy is committed to addressing reasonable and customary costs of testing and treatment for reasons related to the recall, including revision surgery if necessary, for Ms Brown and other ASR patients.”
- Australian Hearing Details Three-Year Delay for DePuy ASR Hip Implant Recall (earlsview.com)
- US Drug Watchdog Says It’s Urgent They Identify All Recalled DePuy ASR Hip Implant Recipients & Applauds NBC News For Exposing The Metal On Metal Issue With Hip Implants (prweb.com)
- Australia, NSW – Hunter residents join joint hip claim (earlsview.com)
- Watch out for the DePuy BS campaign – coming to a town near you…. (earlsview.com)
- DePuy Metal on Metal Hip Implant Lawsuit News – Hip replacement poisoning (earlsview.com)
- Recalled DePuy ASR Hip Implant Failure Leads to Lawsuit Filed by the Law Offices of John David Hart (earlsview.com)
- Crucial Documents Could Determine DePuy Hip Replacement Lawsuit Results (earlsview.com)
- DePuy Pinnacle Implants May Cause Same Problems as Defective ASR Implants (earlsview.com)
- Another Legal Victory for Victims With Recalled DePuy ASR Hip Replacement Implants (earlsview.com)
- Beaumont woman files suit against DePuy over hip implant (earlsview.com)
Pingback: US Drug Watchdog Says It’s Urgent They Identify All Recalled DePuy ASR Hip Implant Recipients « Earl's View
Pingback: How Ions May Cause Metal-on-Metal Hip Implants to Go Bad « Earl's View
Pingback: Australia – Thousands of patients fitted with faulty hip replacements « Earl's View
Pingback: Just Becasue your DePuy ASR Doesn’t Hurt Doesn’t Mean You are Safe! « Earl's View
Pingback: The Sciatic Nerve and Your DePuy Hip Implant | Levin Papantonio Law Firm « Earl's View
Pingback: US Drug Watchdog Urges All ASR DePuy Hip Implant Recipients to Get Identified and Lists the Most Common Symptoms of a Hip Implant Failure « Earl's View