Australian Hearing Details Three-Year Delay for DePuy ASR Hip Implant Recall
An orthopaedic expert testified in front of an Australian Senate committee that DePuy Orthopaedics waited three years to recall its ASR artificial hip replacement, despite having knowledge of its failure. The delay resulted in an estimated 5000 Australian patients who received a DePuy ASR hip implant having to undergo repeat operations.
Stephen Graves told a Senate committee yesterday of his concerns about the time it took for the Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) to act on evidence of the high failure rate of the device, which first came to light in 2006. Solicitors acting on behalf of people affected by the allegedly faulty hip implants filed an action against the orthopaedics manufacturer DePuy in the Federal Court yesterday seeking compensation for harm.
The plaintiffs are also seeking punitive damages on the basis that the company, owned by Johnson & Johnson, allowed the products to remain on the market despite sufficient evidence showing that the devices were defective.
The solicitors said that as many as one in eight people who received the implant required it to be replaced within five years.
Anthony Bishop, the Australian head of J&J, told the committee that the registry first picked up a 50 per cent higher rate in repeat surgery involving the DePuy product in 2006 and mentioned it to the TGA.
Rohan Hammett, the national manager of the TGA, told the hearing that between 2006 and 2008 the orthopaedic expert advisory group had recommended more training of surgeons using the product because of its technical complexity.
- Watch out for the DePuy BS campaign – coming to a town near you…. (earlsview.com)
- Australian TGA Response to Recall of DePuy ASR Hip Replacement (earlsview.com)
- South Australia – DePuy Hip implant class action grows (earlsview.com)
- Veterans are Put through Another War – Hip Recall (earlsview.com)
- Beaumont woman files suit against DePuy over hip implant (earlsview.com)
- Parker McDonald: One Year Milestone of DePuy ASR Metal-on-Metal Hip Implant System Recall Approaching (earlsview.com)
- DePuy Metal on Metal Hip Implant Lawsuit News – Hip replacement poisoning (earlsview.com)
- Recalled DePuy ASR Hip Implant Failure Leads to Lawsuit Filed by the Law Offices of John David Hart (earlsview.com)
- Spike in Metal-on-Metal Hip Implant Complaints May Point to Looming Disaster (earlsview.com)
- Crucial Documents Could Determine DePuy Hip Replacement Lawsuit Results (earlsview.com)