Beaumont woman files suit against DePuy over hip implant
Patrizi underwent hip replacement surgery in 2009 and had the ASR XL Acetabular implanted.
She argues that the defendants have known that their hip replacement devices are prone to fail within two years even though the products are represented as lasting more than 15 years.
According to the lawsuit, the implant’s metal ball and socket bearings can generate debris from wear within approximately two years, which can spread throughout the patient’s surrounding bone and tissue.
Patrizi states that had she known that Acetabular System would require a second surgery to remove the device, she would not have elected to have it implanted.
The defendants are accused of negligence, strict products liability including manufacturing defect, design defect, inadequate warning, failure to conform to representations, failure to adequately test, breach of express warranty, breach of implied warranty of merchantability, fraudulent concealment, intentional misrepresentation and negligent misrepresentation.
The defendants voluntarily recalled the ASR Hip Implant Devices in late August 2010.
The plaintiff is seeking damages for bodily impairment, medical expenses, loss of earnings, loss of consortium, disfigurement, pain and suffering, mental anguish, emotional distress, punitive damages, attorney’s fees, interest and court costs.
Patrizi is represented by Zona Jones of Provost Umphrey Law Firm in Beaumont and Don Barrett and David McMullan Jr. of Barrett Law Group in Lexington, Miss.
A jury trial is requested.
U.S. District Judge Ron Clark is assigned to the case.
Case No. 1:11-cv-00401
- Spike in Metal-on-Metal Hip Implant Complaints May Point to Looming Disaster (earlsview.com)
- Who will lead J&J hip replacement MDL? (earlsview.com)
- Parker McDonald: One Year Milestone of DePuy ASR Metal-on-Metal Hip Implant System Recall Approaching (earlsview.com)
- DePuy Hip Recall Takes Toll on Johnson & Johnson Finances (earlsview.com)
- DePuy Pinnacle Hip Replacement Lawyers Meeting With MDL Judge (earlsview.com)
- Veterans are Put through Another War – Hip Recall (earlsview.com)
- Recalled DePuy ASR Hip Implant Failure Leads to Lawsuit Filed by the Law Offices of John David Hart (earlsview.com)
- Crucial Documents Could Determine DePuy Hip Replacement Lawsuit Results (earlsview.com)
- Rottenstein Law Group Curious About Reserves Set Aside by Johnson & Johnson for DePuy Victims (earlsview.com)
- Dozens suing over DePuy hip replacement (earlsview.com)