DePuy, Food & Drug Administration, Hip Replacement, Jane Kaczmarek, Johnson & Johnson, joint replacement, lawsuit, osteoarthritis, UNited States
- Isn’t J&J DePuy involved in the biggest legal debacle this side of the orthopaedic boondocks – ASR, Pinnacle etc…
- This is still unfolding as one of the worse medical misadventures forever…
- This poor lady is “one of us” in that she has been through incredible pain and hip replacement BUT:
- Ah – Ha – found the disclosure at the bottom of the press release
- Jane Kaczmarek is being compensated by DePuy Orthopaedics, the sponsor of the Anatomy of Movement Experience.
- She is an Emmy®-nominated actress and bilateral hip replacement patient – so one presumes she has not had the DePuy ASR or DePuy Pinnacle – but a little disclosure would help the credibility. Did she even have DePuy implants – why wouldn’t they say?
- How about they just come out and say – we are paying XYZ actor to pimp our products even though we have 10’s of thousands of people still suffering and fighting us through the court systems of many countries for some financial and medical redress for the pain and suffering.
- And that we think that spending a few million on a traveling circus will help our popularity with everyone who doesn’t now how badly our products have damaged so many?
- Come on – don’t insult our feeble intelligences with some child-like story board presentation.
- Life is not a trade show presentation by some PR Media company.
- What about some home help for all those unable to work and look after themselves?
- What about paying some medical bills to get their toxic hips removed?
- What about setting up a future fund to pay for the additional extra hip revisions all the DePuy patients are going to need in the future?
- What about the DePuy Board and senior management getting out there and meeting those whose lives are destroyed by their devices?
Call me Skeptical BUT – give me genuine Bullshit and Jelly Beans anytime ….
ACTRESS JANE KACZMAREK TEAMS UP WITH DEPUY ORTHOPAEDICS TO LAUNCH OSTEOARTHRITIS AWARENESS AND EDUCATION PROGRAM
Source:DePuy Press Release 15 Sept 2011
WARSAW, IN (Sept. 15, 2011) – Motivated by her behind-the-scenes struggle with severe hip pain, Emmy®-nominated actress and bilateral hip replacement patient Jane Kaczmarek is joining forces with DePuy Orthopaedics, Inc. (DePuy) to launch the Anatomy of Movement Experience, an educational program that demonstrates the disabling effects of osteoarthritis and encourages those suffering with severe knee or hip pain to start a conversation with a doctor about their treatment options.
For Jane, whose lifestyle demands 10-12 hours a day on her feet, years of battling severe hip pain due to osteoarthritis nearly forced her to give up on a career in TV and film.
“Like me, many people endure severe hip pain for years before consulting a doctor. I even started moving my car from one end of the mall to the other just to avoid long walks,” says Kaczmarek. “It was not until I had to pass on a big movie offer due to the pain that I knew I had to get help and talk with my doctor about treatment options.”
The Anatomy of Movement Experience is a unique exhibit that is traveling the country and stopping at health and consumer expos. At the Anatomy of Movement Experience, visitors can tour a 30-foot walk-through exhibit of the human leg, talk with healthcare professionals about severe hip and knee pain, take an osteoarthritis self assessment quiz and speak with patients about their experiences with total joint replacement.
“Looking back on the years of pain that I experienced, choosing to have my hips replaced was one of the best decisions I have ever made,” says Kaczmarek. “Following a rehabilitation program after my surgeries, within weeks I was back to walking long distances, climbing stairs and doing the things I wanted to do. I couldn’t believe I waited so long.”
Osteoarthritis: Leading Source of Disability
People are often unaware that the most frequent cause of hip or knee discomfort and chronic joint pain is osteoarthritis, a debilitating condition that begins with pain in the affected joint and does not get better with time. If left untreated, osteoarthritis can cause bone deterioration and pose long-term health issues.[i] It is estimated that one in every five people in the United States has some form of arthritis and that osteoarthritis is one of the most common reasons a person will need a joint replacement.[ii] Hip or knee replacement surgery is an option for people diagnosed with advanced osteoarthritis associated with joint pain, serious limitations in physical mobility and an overall reduced quality of life.
“We know that despite the proven benefits of joint replacement surgery, people suffering from chronic hip or knee pain wait, on average, seven to 11 years before undergoing joint replacement surgery.[iii] With baby boomers hitting their most at-risk years for chronic hip or knee problems, knowledge of the various treatment options available to them has become more important than ever,” says Rodrigo Diaz, M.D., Scientific Information Officer at DePuy Orthopaedics.
About the Anatomy of Movement Experience
The Anatomy of Movement Experience is an educational initiative that explores many facets of joint disease and treatment and serves as a platform for those who have undergone hip or knee replacement surgery to share their journeys with others who are considering that path. These patients illustrate how hip or knee replacements stand up to the rigors of daily life and inspire confidence in people living with severe knee or hip pain to talk with a doctor about a solution that is right for them. More information about the Anatomy of Movement Experience, including the exhibit’s next stop on its nationwide tour is available at www.AnatomyofMovementExperience.com. To learn more about hip or knee replacement, and to read the stories of joint replacement patients, please visit www.RealLifeTested.com.
Important Safety Information
The performance of knee and hip replacements depends on age, weight, activity level, and other factors. There are potential risks and recovery takes time. People with conditions limiting rehabilitation should not have knee or hip replacement surgery. Only an orthopaedic surgeon can determine if knee or hip replacement is indicated based on an individual patient’s condition.
About DePuy Orthopaedics, Inc.
DePuy Orthopaedics, Inc. is a leading global provider of orthopaedic devices for hip, knee, extremities and trauma, as well as bone cement and operating room products. To learn more, please visit www.DePuy.com.
Jane Kaczmarek is being compensated by DePuy Orthopaedics, the sponsor of the Anatomy of Movement Experience.
The third party trademarks used herein are trademarks of their respective owners.
[i] Arthritis Foundation. (2008) Arthritis Prevalence: A Nation in Pain. http://www.arthritis.org/media/newsroom/media-kits/Arthritis_Prevalence.pdf. Accessed August 25, 2011.
[ii] MMWR 2006; 55(40):1089-1092. [Data Source: 2003-2005 NHIS]
[iii] Data on file at DePuy Orthopaedics.
- Crucial Documents Could Determine DePuy Hip Replacement Lawsuit Results (earlsview.com)
- Will the DePuy Pinnacle Bring the Next Wave of Lawsuits? (earlsview.com)
- Metal Hips Failing Fast, Report Says – Of those patients in the British group who received the device six years ago, about 29 percent have since had it replaced. (earlsview.com)
- DePuy Pinnacle Hip Replacement Lawyers Meeting With MDL Judge (earlsview.com)
- DePuy Hip Recall Takes Toll on Johnson & Johnson Finances (earlsview.com)
- New Data On Skyrocketing Hip Failure Rates Echoed In Bernstein Liebhard LLP’s Clients (prweb.com)
- Beaumont woman files suit against DePuy over hip implant (earlsview.com)
- Dozens suing over DePuy hip replacement (earlsview.com)
- Recalled DePuy ASR Hip Implant Failure Leads to Lawsuit Filed by the Law Offices of John David Hart (earlsview.com)
- Lawsuit Against DePuy Filed From Spain (earlsview.com)
- Techniques In Implementing A Hip Replacement Operation (earlsview.com)
- Australian TGA Response to Recall of DePuy ASR Hip Replacement (earlsview.com)
- MUSC Reconstruction Experts Address Metal-on-Metal Joint Replacement Device Controversy (earlsview.com)
- JOHNSON & JOHNSON : DePuy Orthopaedics Receives FDA 510(K) Clearance for TRUMATCH (earlsview.com)
- Anterior Hip Replacement (earlsview.com)
- Smith & Nephew’s Exclusive OXINIUM Material for Hip Replacement Implants Chosen for Premium Reimbursement in Japan (earlsview.com)
- Spike in Metal-on-Metal Hip Implant Complaints May Point to Looming Disaster (earlsview.com)
- Bruce Greenfield may be the last New Zealander implanted with a faulty hip joint (earlsview.com)
- Hip Repalcement – Anterior Approach Gives Patients Another Option (earlsview.com)
- Total Hip Replacement in the Dysplastic Hip: The Use of Cementless Acetabular Components (earlsview.com)
- Who will lead J&J hip replacement MDL? (earlsview.com)
- British Orthopaedic Association PRIMARY TOTAL HIP REPLACEMENT: A GUIDE TO GOOD PRACTICE (earlsview.com)
- Parker McDonald: One Year Milestone of DePuy ASR Metal-on-Metal Hip Implant System Recall Approaching (earlsview.com)
Pingback: UK says metal hip replacements more troublesome – J&J DePuy – almost 30% replacement rate « Earl's View
Pingback: Are Partial Knee Replacements a Passing Trend or the Future of Knee Care? 13 Responses « Earl's View
Pingback: Women most at risk from metal-on-metal hip devices, National Joint Registry Annual Report finds « Earl's View
Jill Cleggett said:
Earl-Your skeptisism-is shared by anyone” reading of this lady’s plight. Of course she is likely”to be a paid representave, of the Company in question. (Love to know the $$$ ammount) I wonder just how naive-This Company credits us with, that we would plausabily forget our suffering, concerns and complaints, because an attractive ‘Emma Award’replacement recipient says so”
Great PR from the Company point of view’ but megalacking in credibility.
Pingback: Supervised Exercise With Hip Osteoarthritis Allows Patients to Delay Total Hip Replacement « Earl's View
Pingback: 14 Years in a Wheelchair- little girl given new hope, life with hip replacement surgery « Earl's View
Pingback: Exercise therapy helps severe hip osteoarthritis « Earl's View
Pingback: Exactech Introduces New Material, Efficient Approach for Acetabular Reconstruction « Earl's View
Pingback: Is Dysplaysia an underlying condition leading to Osteoarthritis later in life? « Earl's View
Pingback: Keep Your Joints Healthy Every Day « Earl's View
Pingback: Baby boomers: The next arthritis generation « Earl's View
Pingback: Australia – Newcastle, NSW – Hip discomfort spoilt retirement hopes « Earl's View