Some sage advice from a respected Law firm Rottenstein Law Group
DePuy Initiates Campaign to Tell Recipients’ Stories to Potential Recipients
Johnson & Johnson announced that DePuy Orthopaedics has created a public relations campaign called the “Anatomy of Movement Experience,” which showcases hip replacement recipients’ stories, including Malcolm in the Middle actress Jane Kaczmarek who received two DePuy hip replacements. It is a touring exhibit that:
“[I]s an educational initiative that explores many facets of joint disease and treatment and serves as a platform for those who have undergone hip or knee replacement surgery to share their journeys with others who are considering that path. These patients illustrate how hip or knee replacements stand up to the rigors of daily life and inspire confidence in people living with severe knee or hip pain to talk with a doctor about a solution that is right for them.”
What the “Anatomy of Movement Experience” Does Not Say
From a business or ethical standpoint, there’s nothing wrong with the “Anatomy of Movement Experience” or what it discusses. Personal testimonies can convince people to take action that benefits them, and if it convinces someone who needs a joint replacement to receive one, that’s fine.
However, DePuy’s exhibit does not tell viewers whether any of the showcased recipients have DePuy’s ASR XL Acetabular System or ASR Hip Resurfacing System.
Both these implants are subject to a worldwide hip replacement recall because they fail in recipients so frequently. Indeed, the National Joint Registry of England and Wales has determined that the recalled DePuy implants fail at a rate of 29% six years after implantation.
The recall has prompted thousands of hip replacement lawsuits against the company. These are the kinds of things people considering hip replacement surgery should know.
As the British registry’s data indicate, many hip replacement experiences do not turn out for the best. For those who have already received a metal-on-metal hip replacement, here are the symptoms of hip replacement failure:
- Difficulty walking
- Reduced range of motion
- Discomfort and clicking sounds caused by grinding between the ball and socket
- Bone loss (resorption) from inflammation that weakens the anchor between the implant and the bone
Symptoms of metal toxicity caused by metal ions shed from the metal components are as follows:
- Persistent pain that can be felt anywhere in the body especially in muscles, tendons, and other soft tissues
- Chronic malaise, meaning fatigue, lethargy, discomfort, or sickness
- Food allergies
- Gastrointestinal upset
- Dizziness and headaches
- Emotional unbalance such as feelings of anxiety, mood swings and depression
- “Brian fog,” a condition describing confusion and forgetfulness
- Nerve damage with symptoms such as tingling, tremors, burning, or numbness in extremities
With cobalt poisoning, additional problems include skin rashes, hyperthyroidism, heart problems, loss of sensory capabilities (sight, hearing, etc.), and loss of cognitive capabilities.
RLG Represents DePuy Hip Recipients
Many people’s hip implant stories do not end as well as the participants’ of the “Anatomy of Movement Experience.” If you received one of DePuy’s recalled hip replacements and experienced any of the above symptoms, you are not alone. The option of filing a hip replacement lawsuit is open to you, and you may be able to obtain a higher amount of compensation than by using DePuy’s help line and reimbursement plan. If you are interested, click on this link, and one of our attorneys will contact you as soon as possible.
- Pardon my skepticism…DePuy being Promoted by Actress who has had bilateral hip replacement (earlsview.com)
- DePuy Metal on Metal Hip Implant Lawsuit News – Hip replacement poisoning (earlsview.com)
- Crucial Documents Could Determine DePuy Hip Replacement Lawsuit Results (earlsview.com)
- UK says metal hip replacements more troublesome – J&J DePuy – almost 30% replacement rate (earlsview.com)
- Will the DePuy Pinnacle Bring the Next Wave of Lawsuits? (earlsview.com)
- DePuy Hip Recall Takes Toll on Johnson & Johnson Finances (earlsview.com)
- DePuy Pinnacle Hip Replacement Lawyers Meeting With MDL Judge (earlsview.com)
- Lawsuit Against DePuy Filed From Spain (earlsview.com)
- Is Dysplaysia an underlying condition leading to Osteoarthritis later in life? (earlsview.com)
- Dozens suing over DePuy hip replacement (earlsview.com)