Birmingham, chromium levels, complaints department, Food & Drug Administration, General practitioner, Hip Replacement, Nephew, NephewSmith, operative pain, orthopaedic clinic, Prosthesis, Smith, Smith and Nephew, southampton university hospitals, surgery, Travel, University of Southampton, vacation
Trevor (General Practitioner) Needs Revsion – Dud Smith & Nephew BHR – Just like DePuy ASR
I am a GP and after months of pain and disability I had a Hip Replacement in September 2007. This was done by Mr ******* , who in view of my age (then 53yo) recommended Birmingham resurfacing with a Metal on Metal prosthesis – by Smith and Nephew. I suffered considerable post-operative pain but was out of hospital after 6 days and back at work after 6 weeks.
I regained a fairly active lifestyle, including some cricket and skiing, but have found that this year I have experienced increasing pain and stiffness in the hip, worst in the morning. I was seen in the orthopaedic clinic and have had my Cobalt and Chromium levels measured:-
Cobalt * 555 nmol/L N 0 – 17
Chromium * 304 nmol/L N 0 – 20
Cobalt 7ppb equivalent to 120 nmol/L
Chromium 7ppb equivalent to 135 nmol/L
I assume that the symptoms I am currently experiencing are due to the Cobalt/Chromium causing local inflammation.
At any rate when Mr ***** saw the results he advised me to have the prosthesis removed and listed me for surgery on the NHS 4 weeks later.
While I appreciate that the surgery needs doing I am nevertheless apprehensive about the experience.
I spoke to the complaints department at Smith & Nephew to enquire if they would be able to defray some of the expenses of being off work. They were less than helpful, to the point of being a little rude.
I think that if they had been more polite I might have left it at that. As it is however I feel I would like to take this further.
- Smith And Nephew Hip Replacement Recall Lawsuit Attorney (earlsview.com)
- Anthony’s BHR hell. Just like DePuy. Come on Mr Smith & your Nephew – own up. (earlsview.com)
- Smith & Nephew – Class 2 Recall R3 Constrained Acetabular Liner (earlsview.com)
- Smith & Nephew – BHR PMA – FIRST OF A KIND PMA – WHO PULLED WHAT STRINGS???? (earlsview.com)
- Kathryn’s Story – More Smith & Nephew Birmingham Hip Resurfacing Misery… (earlsview.com)
- Attachments to Wright Medical’s request to Deny PMA to Smith & Nephew BHR (earlsview.com)
- Despite the Reasons AGAINST – FDA Advisory Panel Recommends Conditional Approval of Smith & Nephew’s BIRMINGHAM HIP Resurfacing Technology (earlsview.com)
- S&N tries to fade out of Metal on Metal QUIETLY… Smith & Nephew Voluntarily Withdraws Hip Component (earlsview.com)
- P040033: BIRMINGHAM HIP RESURFACING (BHR) SYSTEM by SMITH&NEPHEW ORTHOPAEDICS – FDAzilla Devices (earlsview.com)
- Smith & Nephew pulls metal-on-metal hip component – Reuters (drugstoresource.wordpress.com)