Aussie patients getting new joints reach 80,000 a year
The Australian Orthopaedic Association recorded 44,500 knee replacements and 36,000 hip replacements last year, a rise of almost 8 per cent on the previous year.
Most of the procedures were carried out in private hospitals, with 68 per cent of all knee replacements and more than half of hip replacements performed for privately insured patients, according to the association’s registry.
The association’s president-elect, Dr Graham Mercer, said the number of people under 55 having the surgeries had risen in the past five years.
“It’s a lifestyle thing,” Mercer said.
“The main reasons for having a joint replacement are failed alternative treatments, and the intrusion into their lifestyle [from hip or knee pain] is significant. The one thing that really drives people to joint replacement is severe night pain despite medication and other treatments.”
During last year the number of knee replacements rose by 9.4 per cent and the number of hip replacements by 6 per cent.
- Post Hip and Knee Surgery Therapy Uses LegTutor (handtutorblog.wordpress.com)
- Australian Orthopaedic Association National Joint Replacement Registry – Annual Report 2010 (earlsview.com)
- UK Says Metal Hip Replacements More Troublesome (earlsview.com)
- Australia – Thousands of patients fitted with faulty hip replacements (earlsview.com)
- How to Choose a Hip Or Knee Replacement Surgeon & Prosthesis (earlsview.com)
- UK says metal hip replacements more troublesome – J&J DePuy – almost 30% replacement rate (earlsview.com)
- Watch out for the DePuy BS campaign – coming to a town near you…. (earlsview.com)
- AAOS guideline rejects post-op ultrasound to screen for clots (earlsview.com)
- Pardon my skepticism…DePuy being Promoted by Actress who has had bilateral hip replacement (earlsview.com)
- Extracts from Australian Orthopaedic Association National Joint Replacement Registry – Annual Report 2010 (earlsview.com)