Primary Total Conventional Hip Replacement
There have been 171,104 total conventional procedures reported to the Registry, an additional 23,682 procedures compared to the last report.
Osteoarthritis is the principal diagnosis of total conventional hip replacement (88.3%), followed by avascular necrosis (3.7%), fractured neck of femur (3.6%), rheumatoid arthritis (1.3%) and developmental dysplasia (1.3%).
Total conventional hip replacement is more common in females (55.4%). This proportion has remained constant since 2003 (Figure HT1).
There has been a small increase in the proportion of patients aged 55‐64 years (21.9% in 2003 to 24.9% in 2009). There has been no increase in the proportion of patients younger than 55 years during the same period (Figure HT2).
The use of cementless fixation has increased from 51.3% in 2003 to 62.7% in 2009. During the same period, cemented fixation has declined from 13.9% to 6.3% and hybrid from 34.8% to 31.0% (Figure HT3).
The percentage of procedures using the ten most used stems has increased from 63.2% in 2003 to 69.3% in 2009. The ten most used cemented and cementless stems are separately listed in Tables HT6 and HT7.
The percentage of procedures using the ten most used acetabular prostheses has increased from 74.9% in 2003 to 77.8% in 2009. The ten most used cemented and cementless acetabular prostheses are separately listed in Tables HT8 and HT9.
- Australian TGA Response to Recall of DePuy ASR Hip Replacement (earlsview.com)
- Associate Professor Michael J. Neil – Doesn’t Recommend Resurfacing (earlsview.com)
- How to Choose a Hip Or Knee Replacement Surgeon & Prosthesis (earlsview.com)
- Obese Are Three Times as Likely to Need a Hip or Knee Replacement (earlsview.com)
- Veterans are Put through Another War – Hip Recall (earlsview.com)
- MUSC Reconstruction Experts Address Metal-on-Metal Joint Replacement Device Controversy (earlsview.com)
- Cementless Implants Tied to Improved Hip Implant Survival (earlsview.com)
- Anterior Hip Replacement Results – Triathalon time…. (earlsview.com)
- Dozens suing over DePuy hip replacement (earlsview.com)
- Mr. Michael Solomon, Sydney Australia Surgeon Gives Advice on Hip Replacement (earlsview.com)