California Superior Court, circuit court of cook county, defense witness, DePuy, Food & Drug Administration, Hip implants, Hip Replacement, Johnson, judge deborah, Los Angeles, metal, Zellers
Doc who designed DePuy’s metal hip tells jury he wouldn’t implant the device today | MassDevice.
Doc who designed DePuy’s metal hip tells jury he wouldn’t implant the device today
April 3, 2013 by Arezu Sarvestani
The lead physician designer of Johnson & Johnson subsidiary DePuy’s recalled metal-on-metal hip implant tells jurors that he wouldn’t implant the device today.
Johnson & Johnson’s (NYSE:JNJ) subsidiary DePuy Orthopaedics’ 1st defense witness in a lawsuit against its recalled metal-on-metal hip implants testified before a jury that, as an orthopedic surgeon, he would not implant the ASR XL hips in patients today.
Dr. Thomas Schmalzried was among the lead designers of the ASR XL implant, which DePuy pulled from shelves in August 2010. He testified on behalf of DePuy and J&J this week that the devices were properly designed and developed, but noted that he wouldn’t recommend the implant today were it still on the market, Law360.com reported.
Schmalzried has been something of a wild card in previous testimony as well, leading some to speculate as to whether his presence helps or hurts DePuy’s case.
Last month, amid the 1st DePuy ASR XL hip lawsuit to go to trial, Schmalzried testified that he had no knowledge of the so-called “vigilance department” that was designed by company policy to collect and monitor all complaints for the metal hip implants. He added then that he no longer implants metal-on-metal devices, according to the legal blog of medical device injury lawyers Maglio Christopher & Toale.
That 1st trial concluded in a jury verdict against J&J and DePuy, and $8.3 million in damages awarded to patient Loren Kransky. The new trial is taking place before Judge Deborah Dooling in Chicago’s Circuit Court of Cook County.
- US Drug Watchdog Now Urges All DePuy ASR And Pinnacle All Metal Hip Implant Recipients To Get A Blood Test And To Call Them Before The Time Runs Out To Get Identified (prweb.com)
- DePuy ASR Hip Recall Website Launched by Bernstein Liebhard LLP to Keep Public Apprised of Ongoing DePuy ASR Litigation (prweb.com)
- Peter J. Flowers, Chicago Trial Lawyer Begins Local DePuy ASR Trial (prweb.com)
- DePuy Defective Hip Implant Claims | eLocal (elocallawyers.com)
- DePuy ASR Hip Recipient Feared for His Life before Revision Surgery (earlsview.com)
- J&J Profit Pursuit Led to Defective Hip, Lawyer Argues – Bloomberg (earlsview.com)
- What DePuy Orthopaedics Knew About Its All-Metal Hips – NYTimes.com (earlsview.com)
- DePuy ASR Trial – Closing Arguments – Trial plaintiff says J&J hips defective, company says not liable (earlsview.com)
- DePuy Pinnacle Hip Lawsuits: Bernstein Liebhard LLP Notes New Order in Federal DePuy Pinnacle Litigation (earlsview.com)
- Business: Washington Post Business Page, Business News (earlsview.com)
Dear Dr Schmalzried,I just wish you had given yourself and your family each an ASR (or two) so you could ‘feel’ just what your $20,000,000 earnings from the ASR really feel like!
Not as good as 20 big ones in the bank I imagine…
Pingback: For J&J, a hip lawsuit trial victory – FierceMedicalDevices | Earl's View