Johnson & Johnson’s (J&J) 2011 third quarter earnings report highlights the scope and cost of ongoing litigation it faces, including DePuy Pinnacle lawsuits, through the first nine months of the year.
Company Has Spent $223 Million on Litigation and Related Expenses in 2011
Filed on November 8 with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), the third quarter earnings report states that Johnson & Johnson and its subsidiaries, “are involved in numerous product liability cases … in which claimants seek substantial compensatory and, where available, punitive damages.”
Among the product liability cases J&J is facing are those related to two hip systems: the DePuy ASR and the DePuy Pinnacle. The company additionally faces claims related to intellectual property, commercial and other matters, and government investigations. Through the fiscal nine months of 2011, J&J spent $223 million on litigation and additional expenses related to the DePuy ASR Hip recall.
Number of Pinnacle Lawsuits Approaches 600
According to the report, J&J faces approximately 560 claims related to its Pinnacle hip system. Most of these are contained in a federal multidistrict litigation (MDL) centralized in U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas before District Judge James E. Kinkeade.
The claims in the DePuy Pinnacle MDL similarly allege that the Pinnacle Hip Replacement System was defectively designed and that J&J/DePuy failed to provide sufficient warnings of potential side effects. While there are multiple version of the Pinnacle, concerns are mostly with the all-metal version of the hip, which, like other metal-on-metal designs, has the potential to shed particles. Pinancle metal toxicity can result in tissue damage, pain, device loosening, and the need for a second hip replacement surgery.
Receive a Free Pinnacle Lawsuit Evaluation from RLG
Despite calls for a DePuy Pinnacle recall, it seems highly unlikely that one will be issued. As a result, patients injured by the device must take legal action to recoup their losses. The Rottenstein Law Group, a firm whose lawyers have more than 25 years of collective experience defending clients against defective products, invites anyone who believes they’ve suffered harm from a Pinnacle hip to submit the details of their cases for a complimentary review. To speak with a lawyer, fill out this form or call 1 (888) 209-5112. A member of our firm will be in touch shortly.
Download RLG’s free DePuy Pinancle brochure for more information.
- Will the DePuy Pinnacle Bring the Next Wave of Lawsuits? (earlsview.com)
- Rottenstein Law Group Anticipates Prompt Formation of Leadership Committees in Federal Multidistrict Litigation of DePuy Pinnacle Lawsuits (earlsview.com)
- DePuy Pinnacle Hip Replacement Lawyers Meeting With MDL Judge (earlsview.com)
- Rottenstein Law Group Curious About Reserves Set Aside by Johnson & Johnson for DePuy Victims (earlsview.com)
- DePuy Pinnacle Implants May Cause Same Problems as Defective ASR Implants (earlsview.com)
- Rottenstein Law Group Deems Pre-Trial Consolidation of Federal DePuy Pinnacle Hip Device Lawsuits More Likely with DePuy Agreement (prweb.com)
- Bernstein Liebhard LLP Reports On Developments In DePuy Pinnacle Hip MDL (prweb.com)
- Rottenstein Law Group Anticipates Prompt Formation of Leadership Committees in Federal Multidistrict Litigation of DePuy Pinnacle Lawsuits (prweb.com)
- Crucial Documents Could Determine DePuy Hip Replacement Lawsuit Results (earlsview.com)
- Financial Relationships Between Surgeons and Hip Implant Makers (earlsview.com)