ZIMMER KNEE RECALL:
Zimmer Recalls NexGen Knee Replacement Component Due to Risk of Failure – Zimmer NexGen Knee Failure Rate May Be Unusually High
Zimmer, Inc., the maker of artificial joint replacement systems, recently announced the recall of more than 65,000 NexGen MIS tibial knee replacement components after studies showed that it loosened, causing pain and discomfort and ultimately required additional surgery to replace the failing Zimmer NexGen knee.
Prominent joint replacement surgeons, including one of Zimmer’s most highly regarded former orthopedic surgeon consultants, have issued stern warnings about the long-term viability of select Zimmer NexGen knee replacement systems. Major publications have reported on multiple medical studies by different orthopedic surgeons for different Zimmer NexGen knee replacement systems that show an unacceptably high number become loose at the femoral component and require revision surgery to be corrected. While most of the Zimmer NexGen knee replacement systems are not experiencing problems, other are – both those recalled & those not recalled.
The Zimmer NexGen knee recall was not for a total knee replacement system but rather more than 60,000 Zimmer NexGen Knee Replacement components that could be used in any of several Zimmer NexGen knee replacement systems. Read NexGen recall info here, but remember your orthopedic surgeon is your best source for how the Zimmer knee recall may impact you.
There a number of prominent orthopedic surgeons that have reported problems with select Zimmer NexGen Knee Replacement Systems. These studies have focused on Zimmer NexGen CR/CR-Flex and Zimmer NexGen LPS Posterior Stabilized Knee Replacement Systems. The most common Zimmer NexGen knee problems include loosening, resulting in pain and stiffness in the knee, osteoarthritis, instability (mobility and stability are the primary functions of a healthy knee), infection, dislocation and persistent pain.
Joint replacement recalls are unlike any other product recall and often are an extreme source of anxiety for those with the recalled medical device. This section answers some of the most frequently asked Zimmer knee replacement system recall questions and the controversy surrounding certain Zimmer NexGen Knee Replacement Systems that haven’t been recalled, which has been reported on by the New York Times.
- Zimmer NexGen Knee Lawsuits (earlsview.com)
- A Zimmer NexGen UK Patient – Metal Sensitivity (earlsview.com)
- Problematic Zimmer NexGen Knee Replacement Faces Criticism (zimmerkneelaw2.wordpress.com)
- Rottenstein Law Group Sees Release of New Zimmer Revision Products as Confirmation of Failure of NexGen Knee System (prweb.com)
- Complications From Zimmer Products (zimmerkneelaw2.wordpress.com)
- Knee Replacement System Lawyers Announce Significant Response to Zimmer NexGen Knee Recall Website (prweb.com)
- Chuck Molnar, Senior Corner: Knee replacement worth the anxiety (earlsview.com)
- As Baby Boomers Age, Orthopedic Surgeons Will See More Demand (earlsview.com)
- Advances in Knee Replacement Surgery for Active Baby Boomers (earlsview.com)
- Tiger Woods: Why a knee replacement is out… (earlsview.com)