Food & Drug Administration, Hip Replacement, Knee, knee replacement, Medical device, NexGen, surgery, UNited States, Zimmer, Zimmer Knee Replacement Recall, Zimmer NexGen Knee Recall
Zimmer NexGen Component Recall
The Zimmer NexGen MIS tibial component recall affected 68,384 knee components, which were distributed in 13 states across the U.S. It is unclear just how many of those components were implanted in patients at the time of the recall.
Complications associated with the recalled Zimmer NexGen MIS tibial components include:
- Knee Replacement Failure
- Revision or Replacement of Artificial Knee Device
- Knee and Joint Pain
- Difficulty Standing or Walking
- Decreased Range of Motion
- Soreness or Stiffness
In April 2010, Zimmer warned its customers via an “Urgent Device Correction” letter about complications involving the NexGen MIS Tibial knee components, and instructed medical professionals to use a modified surgical technique when implanting the affected device. The company issued the modified surgical instructions in response to dozens of reports of component loosening and device failure.
On September 13, 2010, Zimmer issued a recall for the NexGen TM Tibial Trays, NexGen MIS Tibial Components and MIS Modular Tibial Plates and Keels, according to information in a Food & Drug Administration (FDA) medical device recall database. However, no public alert was issued by the FDA or Zimmer. Information about the Zimmer NexGen MIS tibial component recall was not added to the FDA website until March 28, 2011.
According to the FDA database, there have been 114 reports of complications associated with the recalled Zimmer NexGen MIS tibial components. Problems included reports that the Zimmer NexGen knees had loosened and that patients had to undergo additional knee surgery to have the devices replaced. All 114 cases required revision surgery.
Source: click here
Technorati Tags: Knee Replacement, Knee Replacement Recall, Knee replacements, Zimmer, Zimmer Knee Replacement Recall
- Zimmer NexGen Knee Lawsuits (earlsview.com)
- A Zimmer NexGen UK Patient – Metal Sensitivity (earlsview.com)
- Problematic Zimmer NexGen Knee Replacement Faces Criticism (zimmerkneelaw2.wordpress.com)
- Knee Replacement System Lawyers Announce Significant Response to Zimmer NexGen Knee Recall Website (prweb.com)
- Rottenstein Law Group Sees Release of New Zimmer Revision Products as Confirmation of Failure of NexGen Knee System (prweb.com)
- Complications From Zimmer Products (zimmerkneelaw2.wordpress.com)
- Advances in Knee Replacement Surgery for Active Baby Boomers (earlsview.com)
- Zimmer Status And What They Are Doing (zimmerkneelaw2.wordpress.com)
- Profit rises 23 percent at Zimmer (earlsview.com)
- NexGen Compliance Solutions LLC announces Director of Strategic Partnerships (prweb.com)