BHR, Birmingham, Health, hip, Hip Replacement, hip resurfacing, Mental Health, NephewSmith, science, Smith, Smith & Nephew, UNited States
Two BHR’s bite the dust – tip of the Iceberg – come clean Mr Smith & Nephew
This is a note from Philippa –
My husband has 2 of the birmingham hip resurfacings.
He had the 1st one done in sept 2009 and the other in november 2010.
He has very high levels of colbalt and chromiun in his blood. He has been suffering from funny heartbeats, poor eyesight, skin itching with a rash and is really tired all the time. He has had these symptons for ages now and has had 2 heart tracings done plus various blood test which have come back normal.
He has now been back to his consultant whio says he needs to have both these metal on metal hip joints removed and is going in hospital in the next 2 weeks to have revision on the left one as this is the worse out of the 2.
Well its not even 2 years that he had the left one done and he and i are really concerned bout the damage this may have done to the bone as he has a lot of fluid built up around both of them.
This is more common than they’re all letting on because we know 5 other people who have had the birmingham hip resurfacing and all of them have had revision or waiting to go in so this isn’t just the odd little failure like Smith and Nephew are trying to sweep under the carpet.
Oh and whats worse is he’s got two of these so looks like he will be taking half a year off and this will be if there is no damage or the recovery could be a lot longer.
Maybe Smith and Nephew would like to pay his mortgage because i don’t know how he’s going to.
- Smith & Nephew Birmingham hip resurfacing at a mean of ten years (earlsview.com)
- Smith and Nephew – time to come clean – more facts, less spin (earlsview.com)
- GOT-CHA – Hips: Smith & Nephew issues failure warning on Birmingham metal-on-metal hips | MassDevice – Medical Device Industry News (earlsview.com)
- Interview with Derek McMinn and Ronan Treacy – Orthopaedic Product News (earlsview.com)
- 26% Failure in Female Smith & Nephew BHR’s – The ten-year survival of the Birmingham… [J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2012] – PubMed – NCBI (earlsview.com)
- Cry from the Heart – Where is Mr Smith & his Nephew? (earlsview.com)
- Smith & Nephew Ethics… (earlsview.com)
- Hip Resurfacing Draws Warning After Study Published in Lancet – NYTimes.com (earlsview.com)
- Patients with metal-on-metal hips being contacted after UK officials issue alert | Orthopedics Today (earlsview.com)
- Smith & Nephew Birmingham hip resurfacing – THE PREVALENCE OF FAILURE (earlsview.com)
Stuart Cain said:
I am so sorry to hear of your husbands situation, sadly as you quite rightly point out there is far more of this out there than certainly S&N want anyone to know about, the many BHR patients who read and write for this blog will attest to that! I am not sure where you live in the world, but I understand that even as recently as the last week, there are now lawsuits that are being prepared against S&N and what generally happens (or did with J&J), the company then ‘responds’ by setting up a patient support scheme. I and many others in the J&J case who have been off work for some time have had income support provided by this (I haven’t worked since Feb and going in for more surgery next week). I know this won’t help you straight away but please be aware of it and watch out for it as these companies try to ‘minimise the impact’ by trying to show that they are helping. I hope that things go well for you both and please keep us informed about how he goes and what they find when they go in. Take care and sending you many positive thoughts!
This is true stuart. I have read an article by a lawyer who has advised people that are due for revision to contact leagal advise first.
This way , there leagal team can make a leagal request to the Hospital to have the metal hip once removed sent to them to be used as evidence should a claim need to be made.
They advised this as many hospitals will send the implant straight back to the supplier ?
No dodgy hip no case .
Pingback: Howard Says – And We Agree – Come Clean Smith & Nephew « Earl's View
Pingback: Howard’s View on the FDA’s lack of action on MoM hip studies… « Earl's View
Pingback: Smith & Nephew sued for BHR Defects — Cheryl and Ken elmore (plaintiffs) vs. Smith & Nephew « Earl's View
Pingback: David’s BHR Horror Story – Smith & Nephew Floodgate will open soon… « Earl's View
Pingback: Ed Confirms that S&N BHR MoM’s are Ticking Bombs… « Earl's View