Call for information request for a scientific opinion on the safety of metal-on-metal joint replacements with a particular focus on hip implants
The Scientific Committee on Emerging and Newly Identified Health Risks (SCENIHR) has received a request for a scientific opinion on the safety of metal-on-metal joint replacements with a particular focus on hip implants. The mandate is available here .
Interested parties are invited to submit any relevant information that could assist the scientific committee with this assessment.
In particular, the Scientific Committee is interested in receiving any scientific information related to the following:
- The range in composition of both metals and non-metals of Metal-on-Metal hip implants currently on the market
- Incidence and severity of adverse effects attributable to Metal-on-Metal implants.
- Incidence and severity of adverse effects in patients with Metal-on-Metal implants, compared to that of patients fitted with non-Metal-on-Metal implants.
- The form and effectiveness of systems in the Member States for reporting adverse effects attributable to Metal-on-Metal hip implants.
- Data from systematic post-market surveillance systems/registries concerning Metal-on-Metal hip implants
All information should be submitted in electronic format to Sanco-SCENIHR-Secretariat@ec.europa.eu specifying “MoM Hip Implants – Call for Information” in the subject line of the e-mail.
All information is considered public unless otherwise stated by the provider.
A document on guidelines for submission of contributions, containing criteria for the call for information and guidance for submission can be found here .
Deadline for submissions: 1 October 2012.
- No cancer rise in hip implant patients – Health – Fleetwood Weekly News (earlsview.com)
- About Metal-on-Metal Hip Implants (earlsview.com)
- All-metal hips ‘wear down faster’ – Health – Warwick Courier (earlsview.com)
- US Drug Watchdog Says Now Offers To Help All DePuy Pinnacle Hip Implant Recipients Get The Names Of The Best Attorneys And Offers Symptoms Of A Metal On Metal Hip Failure (prweb.com)
- Three Quarters of Metal-on-Metal Hip Failures Occur in First Two Years, Study – DePuy Hip Replacement Lawsuit Information Site (earlsview.com)
- Hip Prostheses: New JRC report summarises current knowledge and identifies further research needs – Institute for Health and Consumer Protection – (JRC-IHCP), European Commission (earlsview.com)
- Bramhall mum sues over hip replacement that left her in ‘living hell’ | Manchester Evening News – menmedia.co.uk (earlsview.com)
- Press release: MHRA tells surgeons to stop using R3 metal cup liner and extends patient monitoring advice : MHRA (earlsview.com)
- US Drug Watchdog Now Calls Their Defective Metal on Metal Hip Implant Victims Initiative The Worst Medical Device Failure In US History Involving 500,000 US Citizens (prweb.com)
- The US Drug Watchdog Now Warns of a Possible August 24th 2012 Deadline for DePuy ASR Hip Implant Recipients to Get Identified & Offers Them the Names the Top Law Firms (prweb.com)