Consumer protection, FDA, Food & Drug Administration, Johnson, Limited liability partnership, NEW YORK, New York City, UNited States
J&J Sold Transvaginal Mesh Implants After FDA Ordered Company To Cease Marketing – SFGate.
J&J Sold Transvaginal Mesh Implants After FDA Ordered Company To Cease Marketing
Published 01:00 a.m., Friday, June 29, 2012 New York, New York (PRWEB) June 28, 2012
Bernstein Liebhard LLP, a New York law firm nationally recognized for its consumer protection and mass tort practices, reports that Johnson & Johnson (“J&J”), the manufacturer of certain transvaginal mesh implants, sold its Gynecare Prolift implants after the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (“FDA”) ordered the company to stop marketing the devices.* A June 26, 2012 Bloomberg News article reported on the chain of events – information that was obtained through court documents:
- In 2005, J&J began selling the Gynecare Prolift transvaginal mesh without seeking FDA approval. The company reasoned that it was substantially equivalent to Gynemesh, another type of transvaginal mesh also manufactured by J&J and approved by the FDA;
- In 2007, the FDA discovered that Gynecare Prolift was on the market, but that it had never been cleared. The FDA requested that an application for market approval be submitted;
- On August 24, 2007, the FDA sent J&J a letter asking the company to stop selling its Gynecare Prolift vaginal mesh products until the agency decided if the devices were “substantially equivalent” to other products on the market;
- The FDA cited 16 potential deficiencies and noted the “potential high risk for organ perforation” when surgeons performed the transvaginal mesh procedure for insertion;
- Notwithstanding the FDA’s order to stop sales, J&J continued to sell the Prolift mesh; and
- In May 2008, after nine months of negotiations with J&J’s Ethicon unit, the FDA ultimately cleared the transvaginal mesh implant. The FDA did not sanction the company for failing to comply with its earlier directive.
Currently, Ethicon Inc. and J&J are defending more than 1,400 transvaginal mesh implant lawsuits in both state and federal courts filed by individuals alleging that the Ethicon pelvic mesh implant systems caused them to develop vaginal mesh problems resulting in serious injuries. J&J’s violation of the FDA’s order will likely impact the litigation.
“Plaintiffs will demonstrate at trial that the Defendant manufacturers were non-compliant with FDA regulations at every step along the way and failed to disclose critical safety information to the Agency during the approval process,” commented Bernstein Liebhard LLP partner Jeffrey S. Grand, who serves as Co-Liaison Counsel in In re Pelvic Mesh/Gynecare Litigation, No. 6341-10 (N.J. Super Ct.) and In re Pelvic Mesh Litigation/Bard No. L-6339-10 (N.J. Super. Ct.), two consolidated actions of all pelvic mesh lawsuits filed in New Jersey state court.
Mr. Grand also serves on the Plaintiffs’ Steering Committee in the federal litigation, In re: Ethicon, Inc., Pelvic Repair System Products Liability Litigation (“MDL No. 2327”), which is a consolidation of all the transvaginal mesh lawsuits filed in federal court against Johnson & Johnson, and its subsidiary, Ethicon, Inc. The federal transvaginal mesh lawsuits are currently pending in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of West Virginia before Judge Joseph R. Goodwin.
The lawyers at Bernstein Liebhard LLP are actively representing clients and filing lawsuits on behalf of individuals allegedly injured as a result of receiving transvaginal mesh implants manufactured by J&J as well as other medical device companies.
Those who have suffered damages from pelvic mesh implants may be entitled to compensation for medical expenses, pain and suffering, lost wages and other injuries. Learn more by watching this pelvic mesh video, or by visiting our website.
About Bernstein Liebhard LLP
Bernstein Liebhard LLP is a New York-based law firm exclusively representing injured persons in complex individual and class action lawsuits nationwide since 1993, including those who have been harmed by dangerous drugs, defective medical devices and consumer products. The firm has been named by The National Law Journal to the “Plaintiffs’ Hot List,” recognizing the top plaintiffs’ firms in the country, for the past nine consecutive years. Only two firms in the country have been selected for the Hot List nine years in a row.
Bernstein Liebhard LLP
10 East 40th Street
New York, New York 10016
ATTORNEY ADVERTISING. © 2012 Bernstein Liebhard LLP. The law firm responsible for this advertisement is Bernstein Liebhard LLP, 10 East 40th Street, New York, New York 10016, (212) 779-1414. The lawyer responsible for this advertisement in the State of Connecticut is Amy L. Abate. Prior results do not guarantee or predict a similar outcome with respect to any future matter.
Felecia L. Stern, Esq.
Bernstein Liebhard LLP
For the original version on PRWeb visit:http://www.prweb.com/releases/prwebbernstein-liebhard/transvaginal-mesh-implant/prweb9655125.htm
- J&J Sold Transvaginal Mesh Implants After FDA Ordered Company To Cease Marketing (prweb.com)
- Johnson & Johnson Violated FDA Order to Halt Sales of Transvaginal Mesh (prweb.com)
- Johnson & Johnson Ignored FDA Order to Halt Sales of Gynecare Prolift Vaginal Mesh Device (prleap.com)
- Johnson & Johnson asks FDA for permission to stop selling transvaginal mesh implants (cleveland.injuryboard.com)
- Parker Waichman LLP Files Transvaginal Mesh Lawsuits on Behalf of Women Allegedly Seriously Injured by Transvaginal Mesh Products Marketed by Three Manufacturers (prweb.com)
- A Female Surgical Nightmare (inthesetimes.com)
- FiDA Failed Implant Device Alliance (earlsview.com)
- Transvaginal mesh and the FDA’s 501(k) program: double trouble (cleveland.injuryboard.com)
- Company to stop selling pelvic mesh tied to lawsuits (ctv.ca)
- Hundreds of Women Injured by Defective Pelvic Surgical Mesh (blogs.lawyers.com)
Pingback: FDA Considers Metal Hip Injuries — A Bit Too Late for Some Victims – Florida Mass Tort Attorneys, Lawyers | Searcy Mass Torts « Earl's View
Pingback: The US Drug Watchdog Now Urges Plaintiffs Law Firms Worldwide To Contact Them About A Possible International Effort To Help Victims Of Defective Drugs Or Medical Devices – SFGate « Earl's View
Pingback: Recipients Injured By Metal-On-Metal Hips Speak Out Against Dangers of MoM Hips – SFGate « Earl's View
Pingback: Bernstein Liebhard LLP Launches Stryker Hip Recall Lawyer Website – SFGate « Earl's View
Pingback: DePuy & Transvaginal Mesh Lawsuit Settlement Funding Leads Legal-Bay to Banner 2nd Quarter – MarketWatch « Earl's View
Pingback: Bard Must Pay $5.5 Million Over Vaginal Mesh Implants – Bloomberg « Earl's View
transvaginal mesh lawsuits said:
1800-Law Firm is America’s most trusted legal network. 1800 Law Firm covers the entire legal areas including accidents and injuries, bankruptcy, consumer protection, defective products, pharmaceuticals, Social Security claims. If you had been suffered from these kind of injuries like Transvaginal Mesh Patch then call 1800 Law Firm for Transvaginal Mesh lawsuit settlement.
Pingback: Transvaginal Mesh Failure | Transvaginal Mesh Litigation « Earl's View