Comment from Jackie:
I HAVE TO AGREE WITH THIS AND NOT ONLY WITH ZIMMER OR JUST KNEES, WITH ANY METAL ON METAL DEVICE THAT IS PUT INOT OUR BODIES BECAUSE….THIS PROBLEM WITH COLBALT AND CHROMEUM STARTED WAY BEFORE MY REPLACEMENT IN MARCH, 2010, SO MY QUESTION IS…WHY ON EARTH WOULD THESE COMPANIES CONTINUE TO USE THESE KNOWING FULL WELL OF THE PROBBABLE OUTCOME.
SO HERE YOU ARE, I AM AND MANY MANY OTHER ARE WITH LEVELS OF METALS IN OUR BLOODSTREAM THAT DO NOT BELONG, WHY ARE THEY STILL ALLOWED TO CONTINUE TO POSION US AND MAKE OUR PAIN WORSE THAN IT WAS BEFORE WE DID THIS BECAUSE OF THE FAILURE RATE??
THESE COMPANIES ALL NEED TO BE STOPPED FROM MAKING REPACEMENTS WITH THESE THINGS IN IT. WE HAVE ALL GONE IN THINKING WE WHERE GOING TO BE BETTER OFF AND GETTING SO MUCH BETTER AND WE ARE WORSE OFF THAN WE EVER WERE.
SO NOW WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO ABOUT CHANGING THIS?? I AM OPEN TO ANYTHING THAT WILL STOP THIS FROM CONTINUING TO HAPPEN TO MANY MANY OTHERS, AND AGAIN ITS ALOT OF DIFFERENT MANUFACTURS. ANY THOUGHTS OR IDEAS??
We unfortunately are part of the smaller percentage where they do not work.
Given the overall problems with metal on metal and their tendency to wear excessively and cause problems when not fitted well, it is likely that metal on metal will be phased out rather quickly and replaced with ceramic on ceramic or other combinations like metal on plastic. Even these combinations have their issues. Plastic wears and can cause osteolysis – this is well documented – even pseudotumours but there are not the problems with metal toxicity that occur with metal on metal.
The thousands of lawsuits before the courts at present have sent a loud signal to the manufacturers – you will see changes – but there will always be problems with hip replacements for some of us, depending on our anatomy and physiology – this is just the result of us being a biological soup. Nothing is perfect, sadly.
- Financial toll soars for hip implant failures – KansasCity.com (earlsview.com)
- Jackie – a typical story repeats again & again – Patient Fear and Distress (earlsview.com)
- UK surgeon warns public about dangers of all-metal hip implants, especially for women | Depuy Hip Recall (earlsview.com)
- US Drug Watchdog Urges All ASR DePuy Hip Implant Recipients to Get Identified and Lists the Most Common Symptoms of a Hip Implant Failure (earlsview.com)
- Will Flawed All-Metal Hip Replacements Cost J&J and Zimmer $5 Billion? (forbes.com)
- Failing hip implants will cost billions to replace (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Recalled DePuy ASR Hip Implant Lawsuits Filed By The Law Offices Of John David Hart – TheStreet (earlsview.com)
- New Data On Skyrocketing Hip Failure Rates Echoed In Bernstein Liebhard LLP’s Clients (prweb.com)
- DePuy Hip Recall | Pinnacle Hip Recall News (earlsview.com)
- Zimmer knee replacement manufacturer sued for metal on metal design | Louisiana Record (earlsview.com)