arthritis, Cobalt chrome, Cobalt poisoning, DePuy, DePuy ASR™ Hip Resurfacing System, Hip recall, Hip Replacement, joint replacement, New Zealand, New Zealand Herald, South Africa, Total Hip Replacement, UNited States
Arthritis New Zealand urges calm over replacement hip withdrawal
If you have had a hip replacement and are experiencing any pain or discomfort Arthritis New Zealand advises you to talk to your GP and get it checked out.
Although this issue is extremely serious for those affected, it is important to note that this particular joint replacement – the ASR – is only one of a number of possible replacement joints used in New Zealand.
While at first glance, the number of revisions may seem concerning, the New Zealand National Joint Registry reports that of the 35,000 hip replacements performed over the last five years, only 507 used the ASR implants. From the registry 18 were replaced due to direct problems with the ASR system.
For many people with osteoarthritis, the most common form of arthritis in New Zealand, having a hip replaced is a successful and safe procedure that is important part of reducing pain and increasing mobility.
For the thousands of people who need a hip replacement this year should not be put off by these reports. Good communication between doctors, surgeons and patients is required to ensure you know what type of device is being used and to ensure that the follow up after surgery is undertaken.
- New Zealand Herald Hip joint article sheds light on agony – DePuy ASR Hip Recall (earlsview.com)
- Total Hip Replacement (earlsview.com)
- British Orthopaedic Association PRIMARY TOTAL HIP REPLACEMENT: A GUIDE TO GOOD PRACTICE (earlsview.com)
- UK – Advice for GP’s – Hip Joint Replacements (earlsview.com)
- Anterior Hip Replacement (earlsview.com)
- Hip Replacement – UK ARC Patient Advice Booklet (earlsview.com)
- Future of Hip replacement may include more resurfacing, percutaneous fixation (earlsview.com)
- Bruce Greenfield may be the last New Zealander implanted with a faulty hip joint (earlsview.com)
- MUSC Reconstruction Experts Address Metal-on-Metal Joint Replacement Device Controversy (earlsview.com)
- Rowing on the St. Joe River after hip replacement surgery (earlsview.com)