baseline study, chronic lymphocytic leukemia, DePuy, Food and Drug Administration, groin pain, Health, Hematological malignancy, Hip implants, Hip Replacement, Johnson, Medicine, osteoarthritis, pinnancle, total hip resurfacing
I had a Depuy Pinnacle (MOM) total hip replacement in Dec. 2007 due to osteoarthritis at the age of 56. I was told that metal on metal was the preferred implant since I was young, thin and fit. In fact, this remarkable implant might even last my lifetime!
Eighteen months later, I was diagnosed with level one chronic lymphocytic leukemia.
I had every test imaginable regarding the leukemia and there were chromosomal abnormalities or deletions; however, never having a baseline study, it would be a stretch to say that there were changes.
A friend alerted me to the dangers of cobalt and chromium poisoning in 2012 and I requested the blood test, yet my surgeon did not encourage it as I was not symptomatic with hip issues. Both minerals tested were elevated but I was told they were not dangerously high at the time.
One year later, I requested to have the mineral blood test again so the results would be available for my annual appointment. Levels had risen significantly and I was having groin pain, hip pain and stability issues.
The orignial surgeon suggested a total hip resurfacing at some point, but certainly immediate surgery was not emphasized. I went for another opinion and that surgeon made room in his surgery schedule that week so that the Depuy Pinnancle could be removed.
My question is this: Are there others with metal on metal hip implants who then were diagnosed with blood cancer? I find it more than coincidental, yet when I ask medical professionals they state that there are no definitive studies linking the two.
- DePuy Defective Hip Implant Claims | eLocal (elocallawyers.com)
- Hip Replacement Lawsuits (hipreplacementlawsuits.wordpress.com)
- DePuy ASR Hip Implant Lawsuit Filed by Wright & Schulte on Behalf of Texas Man Who Alleges His Serious Hip Injuries Were Caused by Defective Design of ASR Hip Implant (prweb.com)
- Hip Replacement Recall (ehipreplacementrecall.wordpress.com)
- Experts Advise Patients with MoM Hips to Undergo Blood Tests (hothealthnews.wordpress.com)
- Fighting Rare Blood Cancers (23andme.com)
- Lawmakers Mull over Actions for Hip Implant Safety (hipimplantlawyer.wordpress.com)
- The New Design of DePuy ASR Hip (depuyrecall.typepad.com)
- DePuy Hip Replacement Failure Rate (depuyrecall.typepad.com)
- US Drug Watchdog Now Urges All DePuy Pinnacle Hip Implant Recipients To Call Them About A Blood Test To See If This Metal Hip Implant Has Failed-Time Is Of The Essence (prweb.com)