articular surface replacement, Cobalt chrome, Cobalt poisoning, DePuy, DePuy ASR Hip, depuy hip recall, DePuy Hip Recall Litigation, DePuy Lawsuit, DePuy Orthopaedics, FDA, Food & Drug Administration, Health, Hip Replacement, Johnson, Johnson & Johnson, joint replacement, Medicine, Metal on metal hip, metal-on-metal hips, metallosis, New York TImes, Patient, surgery, UNited States
Hip Replacement Device – NYTimes.com.
Oh Really Mr DePuy – are we as stupid as you look?
Published: March 4, 2013
Re “What a Company Knew About Its Metal Hips” (editorial, Feb. 11):
All of us at DePuy are united by the goal of improving patients’ lives, so we understand that the Articular Surface Replacement Hip System recall has been of concern for patients, their family members and surgeons. I disagree with how your editorial described company actions regarding ASR testing, data analysis and communications.
ASR was tested for years before receiving regulatory clearance around the world. Once on the market, we carefully considered all the data and investigated product complaints individually, while also looking for broader performance trends. We continued to share appropriate and validated data with regulators and surgeons.
When we received new registry data reporting that ASR patients were undergoing a second hip replacement surgery sooner than expected, we recalled the product and immediately supported patients with a reimbursement program for their medical costs.
Joint replacement surgery is one of the greatest medical advances of our time. We remain dedicated to serving patients who need this important treatment option.
President, DePuy Orthopaedics
Warsaw, Ind., Feb. 25, 2013
- During Trial, New Details Emerge on DuPuy Hip – NYTimes.com (earlsview.com)
- FDA cracks down on all-metal hip replacements (earlsview.com)
- DePuy Pinnacle Hip Replacement Lawsuits: Bernstein Liebhard LLP Comments on New Study Finding that Hip Replacement Failure More Likely in Women (earlsview.com)
- DePuy ASR Hip Replacement Implant Lawsuit Trial Raises Questions About Johnson & Johnson’s Actions in Years Prior to DePuy ASR Hip Replacement Recall, According to Alonso (prweb.com)
- RLG Responds to Report of Higher Metal-on-Metal Hip Replacement Failure Rates in Women (earlsview.com)
- What DePuy Orthopaedics Knew About Its All-Metal Hips – NYTimes.com (earlsview.com)
- DePuy Hid Data About Failed Hip Implant, Documents Show – NYTimes.com (earlsview.com)
- Biomet Hip Replacement Lawsuits: Bernstein Liebhard LLP Files Biomet Hip Implant Lawsuit on Behalf of Biomet M2a Magnum Hip Replacement Recipient (prweb.com)
- Study shows cost-effectiveness and benefits to patients of early hip replacement (earlsview.com)
- Patients victims of untested medical devices – SFGate (earlsview.com)