arthritis, Birmingham, chrome poisoning, Cobalt, Cobalt chrome, cobalt levels, Cobalt poisoning, DePuy, DePuy ASR Hip, DePuy ASR™ Hip Resurfacing System, DePuy Hip Recall Litigation, DePuy Lawsuit, Food & Drug Administration, Hip recall, Hip Replacement, hip resurfacing, metal, Metal on metal hip, Total Hip Replacement
This Report is part of any unpublished submission (?) which seeks to dismiss any harmful effects of cobalt or chrome ions
Metal Ion Release from Metal on Metal Hip Replacement Implants
Information in Support of Downclassification
Dr Jim Nevelk December 2004
Here are the disturbing conclusions in 2004 – which seem to be soundly redundant in the light of the DePuy ASR Hip Replacement Recall, issues with the Pinnacle and the issues I have uncovered with the Birmingham Hip Replacement Cobalt Chrome Systems, such as the one causing me pain and osteolysis – the one the nearly killed Howard Sadwin…
- There is undoubtedly higher metal ion release from metal on metal bearings than from other hip bearings.
- For large diameter bearings, it appears that the blood serum ion levels increase sharply during the first 12-18 months and then decrease over time and may not, in fact, be a long term problem.
- For conventional 28mm metal-on-metal bearings, the levels of cobalt and chromium appear to remain more constant in the short term.
- Hypersensitivity can and does occur but is extremely infrequent and is the subject of much research at present.
- There is no evidence to support a hypothesis of detrimental health effects due to ion release from these devices.
- Modern metal on metal hip replacements do not appear to suffer from unexpected early failures which characterised the first generation devices due to their improved design and manufacturing technology.
- Options for Hip Replacements – different materials (earlsview.com)
- Sadwin Doesn’t buy the BHR Story … (earlsview.com)
- Associate Professor Michael J. Neil – Doesn’t Recommend Resurfacing (earlsview.com)
- Metal Ion Measurement as a Diagnostic Tool to Identify Problems with Metal-on-Metal Hip Resurfacing (earlsview.com)
- McMinn Centre Data Suggests How Bad DePuy ASR was v. Others on the Market (earlsview.com)
- Dozens suing over DePuy hip replacement (earlsview.com)
- Mr. Michael Solomon, Sydney Australia Surgeon Gives Advice on Hip Replacement (earlsview.com)
- ‘Metal on metal’ hip implants leave some recipients in pain, at risk (earlsview.com)