FRIDAY, OCTOBER 19, 2012
The hard lesson of metal-on-metal hip implants.
This has raised concern that exposure to metal ions may induce complications and could increase the risk of cancer.
In view of the present level of uncertainty and for reasons of patient safety, the Dutch Orthopaedic Association (NOV) has advised its members to suspend utilisation of all metal-on-metal hip implants with a large head (≥ 36 mm) until the safety and long-term effectiveness have been established.
All patients with these implants will be invited for an annual check-up according to a set protocol. This outpatient examination will also include assessment of cobalt ion levels and X-ray diagnostics. Based on the blood concentration of cobalt, the clinical status and the X-ray, the patient will be advised to undergo a revision procedure of the implant
- US Drug Watchdog Now Urges All DePuy Pinnacle All Metal Hip Implant Recipients to Call Them for the Names of the Best Law Firms-Be Concerned About Premature Failures (prweb.com)
- US Drug Watchdog Now Urges All 500,000 US Recipients of a Al Metal Hip Implant to Get a Blood Test for Metal Poisoning & Offers Them the Names of the Best Law Firms (prweb.com)
- SCARY – Study finds elevated levels of cobalt and chromium in offspring of patients with metal-on-metal hip implants (earlsview.com)
- ‘Toxic’ hip replacement fears – Health – Belfast Newsletter (earlsview.com)
- Biomet Issues Addressed at FDA Meeting (earlsview.com)
- Australian National Registry Reports Staggering 44% Revision Rate of DePuy ASR XL Hip Implants | Ring Of Fire Radio: Robert Kennedy Jr, Mike Papantonio and Sam Seder (earlsview.com)
- Walking wounded: many unaware of faulty implants (theage.com.au)
- Australia – TGA Information for Health Professionals – Metal-on-metal hip replacement implants (earlsview.com)
- No early link between all-metal hip implants and cancer-study | Reuters (earlsview.com)