Coast mum to get free $25k hip operation
Stephanie Bedo | 12:01am August 10, 2012
Kerryn Brewer will receive the hip surgery she needs thanks to Sam Scott-Young and Dr Neil Cleaver. Pic: David Clark
Kerryn Brewer has been waiting to see a specialist at the Gold Coast Hospital since her doctor referred here there last September.
The 47-year-old had no prospect of an appointment date, let alone surgery, in the clogged public system.
Her daughter Sarah told her story to the Bulletin last week, afraid her mum would not be able to walk at her school graduation this year.
Mrs Brewer suffers from a congenital hip condition and now bone is grinding on bone in her hip, causing her severe pain and discomfort.
The mother of three cannot walk more than a few steps and lives on painkillers.
Mr Scott-Young will donate the $12,500 Furlong hip system, while Dr Cleaver will perform the surgery free.
Allamanda Private Hospital general manager David Harper said the hospital would not charge for use of its facilities.
Mrs Brewer and her family said they were “blown away” by the generosity.
“We didn’t expect anything like this to happen,” she said.
Dr Cleaver said Mrs Brewer’s circumstances were exceptional because of her age and condition.
“This will cause severe disability if left untreated, and someone like Mrs Brewer could be walking and back in the workforce,” Dr Cleaver said.
“This highlights the importance of having private health insurance where the public hospitals are underfunded.”
Mr Scott-Young said the Furlong hip had the best longevity of any prosthesis on the market.
“It’s far superior to anything used in the public sector,” he said.
“In the public sector there’s pricing pressure, so you get a cheaper product.”
Kerryn’s surgery will take place on August 23.
- Bramhall mum sues over hip replacement that left her in ‘living hell’ | Manchester Evening News – menmedia.co.uk (earlsview.com)
- New Surgical Approach Allows for Outpatient Total Hip Replacement (earlsview.com)
- ‘Toxic’ hip replacement fears – Health – Belfast Newsletter (earlsview.com)
- All-metal hips ‘wear down faster’ – Health – Warwick Courier (earlsview.com)
- Instability after total hip arthroplasty (earlsview.com)
- Australia – ABGII Modular Femoral Stem and Modular Neck – hip replacement system (earlsview.com)
- Variability in Costs Associated with Total Hip and Knee Replacement Implants (earlsview.com)