DePuy, Food & Drug Administration, Hip Replacement, Johnson, lawsuit, Pinnacle, UNited States, United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas
Another Lawsuit Filed Against DePuy over Pinnacle Hip Replacement device – Hip Implants – Zimbio.
Another Lawsuit Filed Against DePuy over Pinnacle Hip Replacement device
The national law firm of Parker Waichman LLP has filed a lawsuit in U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas against DePuy Orthopaedics, Inc. and parent company Johnson & Johnson on behalf of a Michigan woman who allegedly suffered severe injuries from the metal-on-metal Pinnacle Hip Implant.
The lawsuit claims that the plaintiff had the Pinnacle hip device implanted on her left side in December 2006, and has since suffered adverse tissue reactions and pain. The lawsuit says that the Pinnacle device sheds high levels of toxic chromium and cobalt particles into the surrounding tissue and bloodstream which then accumulate and cause metallosis, pseudotumors, severe pain and discomfort as well as death of the local tissue and bone loss.
According to the lawsuit, the U.S Food and Drug Administration has received over 1,300 adverse event reports regarding the Pinnacle device, which is allegedly prone to premature failure and causes metallosis and cobalt toxicity. DePuy recalled more than 93,000 ASR devices in 2010, including the Pinnacle device.
Recently, the FDA ordered 21 metal-on-metal hip replacement device manufactures, including DePuy, to conduct post-market studies of their products regarding the shedding of metal debris. The Lancet medical journal published a study in March that found that recipients of metal-on-metal hip replacement devices face a 6.2 percent chance of needed the devices replaced within five years. In February, the British Medical Journal published that metal-on-metal hip replacement patients may be exposed to dangerously high levels of toxic and potentially cancer-causing metal from the failing hip implants.
Hundreds of federally filed Pinnacle hip device lawsuits have been consolidated to the Texas court under U.S. District Judge James Kinkeade. Parker Waichman LLP report that the FDAs Orthopaedic and Rehabilitation Devices Panel will meet on June 27 and 28 to discuss the pros and cons of the devices and make recommendations regarding their use.
- US Drug Watchdog Now Offers To Help All Recalled DePuy ASR Hip Implant Recipients (earlsview.com)
- 200 Irish Patients Plan DePuy ASR Hip Implant Lawsuit | NewsInferno (earlsview.com)
- The US Drug Watchdog Expands Its DePuy ASR Hip Implant Victims Initiative Because of The Low Numbers of Recalled DePuy ASR Hip Implant Recipients Identified So Far (prweb.com)
- US Drug Watchdog Now Says Its Vital To Identify All Recalled DePuy ASR Hip Implant Recipients & Get Them The Best Attorneys Because Only A Fraction Have been Identified (prweb.com)
- US Drug Watchdog Now Offers to Help All DePuy ASR and DePuy Pinnacle Hip Implant Recipients Get to the Best Possible Attorneys and Lists Symptoms of Hip Implant Failure (prweb.com)
- US Drug Watchdog Now Offers to Help All Recipients of the DePuy ASR & DePuy Pinnacle Hip Implant to Get to the Best Possible Attorneys Because Compensation is Vital (prweb.com)
- Biomet Makes Offer to Buy DePuy Business from Johnson and Johnson To Enable Regulatory Clearance for The Purchase of Synthes (ducknetweb.blogspot.com)
- DePuy Hip Replacement Failure Rate (depuyrecall.typepad.com)
Pinnacel uptown condos said:
I think 1,300 adverse event reports regarding this device should be a clear indication that something is off.