Femur head, Health, Hip Replacement, McMaster Universities Osteoarthritis Index, Medicine, Orthopedic surgery, THA, WOMAC
Modified minimally invasive two-incision total hip arthroplasty using large diameter femoral head Park KS, Yoon TR, Hwang SY, Lee KB – Indian J Orthop.
Minimally invasive (MI) total hip arthroplasty (THA) is an alternative to standard THA, but has created much controversy among orthopedic surgeons. The authors modified the original minimally invasive two-incision THA technique and used large-diameter (32 mm, 36 mm) ceramic-on-ceramic articulation.
Materials and Methods:
One hundred and seventy patients that underwent unilateral MI two-incision THA were retrospectively reviewed, and surgical morbidity, functional recovery, radiological properties, and complications were assessed.
Mean Harris hip score (HHS) improved from 41.8 to 96.1 at last followup, and mean Western Ontario and McMaster Universities Osteoarthritis Index (WOMAC) score from 66.2 to 26.9. The mean lateral opening angle of the acetabular component was 38.2° and the mean stem position was valgus 1.9°. There was an intraoperative femur fracture and one revision surgery due to stem subsidence. No patient had dislocation.
Our data suggest that this modified technique combined with large ceramic femoral head is safe and reproducible in terms of achieving proper implant positioning and early functional recovery.
- ORTHOSupersite Educational Lab: Total Hip Arthroplasty: Using clinical performance to guide implant selection (earlsview.com)
- A comparison of Leg Length and Femoral Offset discrepancies in Hip Resurfacing, Large Head Metal-on-Metal and Conventional Total Hip Replacement (earlsview.com)
- AAOS Releases TO on MoM Hip Implants (earlsview.com)
- Timing of Aquatic Therapy for Knee, Hip Arthroplasty Matters (earlsview.com)
- JBJS | A Multinational Assessment of Metal-on-Metal Bearings in Hip Replacement (earlsview.com)
- Aquatic therapy soon after total knee arthroplasty improves outcomes (eurekalert.org)
- Aquatic therapy soon after total knee arthroplasty improves outcomes (medicalxpress.com)
- Legg-Calvé-Perthes Disease (slideshare.net)
- 11 Points on Technology & Treatment Revolutionizing Sports Medicine (earlsview.com)
- Aquatic Therapy Soon After Total Knee Arthroplasty Improves Outcomes (medicalnewstoday.com)