FDA: Celexa May Damage Heart at High Doses
Fatal Changes to Heart’s Rhythm Possible From Antidepressant
Reviewed by Laura J. Martin, MD
Celexa should no longer be used at doses higher than 40 milligrams per day. The drug’s new label will remove a statement suggesting that some patients may need 60 milligrams per day. It will also warn of the drug’s risk to the heart.
According to the FDA, Celexa “can cause abnormal changes to the electrical activity of the heart.” These changes, known as prolongation of the QT interval, can lead to fatal changes in the heart’s rhythm.
“Patients at particular risk for developing prolongation of the QT interval include those with underlying heart conditions and those who are predisposed to low levels of potassium and magnesium in the blood,” the FDA warns.
The higher the Celexa dose, the greater the risk to the heart.
Celexa should no longer be used by people who were born with long QT syndrome.
Any side effects linked to Celexa should be reported to the FDA’s MedWatch Safety Information and Adverse Event Reporting Program online at fda.gov/medwatch/report.htm or by phone at USA 800-332-1088 .
- FDA Warns of Celexa Heart Risk (webmd.com)
- FDA warns of heart risks with high doses of Celexa (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Celexa, why must you give me so many side effects in… (skillzmcfly.tumblr.com)
- National Birth Defects Lawyers Offer Free Information for Parents of Children with Antidepressant Birth Defects from Drugs Such as Zoloft, Celexa, Lexapro and Wellbutrin (prweb.com)
- Conflicting Information on both sides of the Atlantic. (leoniefennell.wordpress.com)
- Time to revisit dabigatran dose in the US? (earlsview.com)
- Forest Labs CEO, Howard Solomon faces exile from health-care industry–Lexapro & Celexa (bipolarsoupkitchen-stephany.blogspot.com)
- Cholesterol drug Zocor (simvastatin) dangerous at high doses, FDA says (cbsnews.com)
- Newer Antidepressants in Older Patients May Be Risky (earlsview.com)
- Your experiences with Celexa/Lexapro (ask.metafilter.com)