chrome poisoning, Chromium VI, Cobalt chrome, Cobalt poisoning, DePuy, DNA damage, hexavalent chrome, Hip recall, Hip Replacement, metal, metal hypersensitivity, Orthopedic surgery, Southern General Hospital, surgery, University of Strathclyde
Release of Chromium from Orthopaedic Hip & Knee Replacements
You need to read the full scientific article – download here
- Many orthopaedic implants are composed of alloys containing chromium.
- There is an increasing number of Cobalt Chromium hip and knew replacements being inserted into young patients with osteoarthritis.
- Such implants will release chromium ions.
- These patients will be exposed to the released chromium for over 50 years in some cases.
- The subsequent chromium ion metabolism and redistribution in fluid and tissue compartments is complex and most likely to be damaging.
- In addition, the potential biological effects of chromium are also controversial, including DNA and chromosomal damage, reduction in CD8 lymphocyte levels and possible hypersensitivity reactions (ALVAL).
The Open Orthopaedics Journal, 2008, 2, 10-18; 1874-3250/08 2008 Bentham Science Publishers Ltd.
G.A. Afolaranmi1, J. Tettey1, R.M.D. Meek*,2 and M.H. Grant3; 1Strathclyde Institute of Pharmacy and Biomedical Sciences, 2Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Southern General Hospital, Glasgow, UK, 3Bioengineering Unit, University of Strathclyde, UK
Technorati Tags: Chrome Poisoning , Cobalt Ions, Cobalt Poisoning, hip prosthesis, Hip Replacement, Metal Hypersensitity, Metal Ions, risk factors, Hexavalent Chrome, Chrome VI, Hip recall, Hip Revision, orthopaedic implants, DNA Damage, Chromosomal Damage
- Associate Professor Michael J. Neil – Doesn’t Recommend Resurfacing (earlsview.com)
- ‘Metal on metal’ hip implants leave some recipients in pain, at risk (earlsview.com)
- Techniques In Implementing A Hip Replacement Operation (earlsview.com)
- Options for Hip Replacements – different materials (earlsview.com)
- Bruce Greenfield may be the last New Zealander implanted with a faulty hip joint (earlsview.com)