hip, Hip Replacement, Medical device, surgery, UNited States, Zimmer, Zimmer Durom, Zimmer Durom Cup
Zimmer Durom Cup Hip Implant – Waters & Kraus.
Zimmer Durom Cup Hip Implant
We protect the interests of those injured by unsafe Zimmer Durom Cup hip implants.
Since 2006, as many as 13,000 Americans have received the Zimmer Durom Cup hip implant. The medical device is primarily used in this country for Total Hip Arthroplasty (THA). In a THA procedure, the surgeon removes the damaged hip joint and replaces it with a hip prosthesis consisting of a ball component and a socket that has an insert or liner. In the case of the Zimmer Durom Cup implant, all components of the device are metal.
2008 Warning About Durom Cup Revision Surgery
Zimmer marketed its Durom hip replacement device for use in younger patients, claiming the metal contact was more durable than a traditional hip implant. In reality, however, the implants were far more likely than most to require revision surgery after a very short time. Zimmer temporarily suspended sales of the hip implant in 2008 after a warning from renowned hip surgeon Dr. Larry Dorr, a former Zimmer consultant and the Director of the Dorr Institute for Arthritis Research and Education. According to Dr. Dorr’s own experience implanting the Zimmer Durom Cup in 165 hips:
- Ten hips required revision surgery and four more would soon need revision.
- Failure rate occurred within two years of initial hip replacement.
- The Durom cups came loose.
- They lacked adequate fixation.
- They actually migrated in one instance.
Dr. Dorr also described the painful symptoms experienced by his patients who required revision surgery:
- Severe pain and stiffness after rising from seated position causing a noticeable limp for several steps.
- Walking constantly without a smooth gait or with a limp.
- Sharp pain in the groin when moving from a bent to an upright position.
- Difficultly walking down stairs.
- Lack of endurance in walking.
- Necessity for using a cane to walk outdoors.
Wisconsin Study Confirms Zimmer Durom Cup Failures
A recent study from the University of Wisconsin compared the relative progress one year after surgery of groups of patients receiving different devices for total hip replacement. In that time, while none of the more modern hip implants failed, the Zimmer Durom Cup demonstrated an alarming 11% failure rate. The Durom Cup recipients reported that their pain and discomfort were no better after the hip surgery than before.
Medical evidence suggests that metal-on-metal hip implants can cause the release of tiny metal ions in the body, leading to inflammation and bone loss in the hip region. The metal ions may also damage organs of the body or lead to genetic changes.
How Waters, Kraus & Paul can protect your interests
With a national presence and a wealth of experience representing clients injured by dangerous products and unsafe medical devices, Waters, Kraus & Paul provides aggressive representation throughout the entire course of litigation. To learn more about legal representation at Waters, Kraus & Paul, or to have one of our attorneys review your potential Zimmer Durom Cup hip implant case, email us or call 800.226.9880.
- MHRA Advises Metal Hip Implant Patients Need Life-Long Checks: AttorneyOne.com Warns the Threat from Zimmer Durom Cup Severe Adverse Events Remains (prweb.com)
- The US Drug Watchdog Now Demands Action from the US FDA on the Metal on Metal Hip Implant Disaster for US Citizens-Ever Hear of Cobalt or Chromium Blood Poisoning? (prweb.com)
- Hip Replacement Crisis in Europe Causes Demand for Medical Device Registry (earlsview.com)
- MHRA Advises Metal Hip Implant Patients Need Life-Long Checks:… (prweb.com)
- Zimmer Hip Lawsuit | Zimmer Hip Replacement Problems Lawsuit (earlsview.com)
- US Drug Watchdog Now Offers to Help All Recipients of a DePuy ASR or a DePuy Pinnacle Implant Failure Get to the Best Possible Attorneys-Why Get Left Holding The Bag? (prweb.com)
- Metal-on-Metal Hip Implants – Advisories, Warnings & Recalls for the public (earlsview.com)
- US Drug Watchdog Now Offers To Help All Recalled DePuy ASR Hip Implant Recipients (earlsview.com)
- Metal-on-Metal Hip Implants > Concerns about Metal-on-Metal Hip Implant Systems (earlsview.com)
- Metal-Free, High-Tech Composite Hip Implant – TMD – Today’s Medical Developments (earlsview.com)
Pingback: Press release: MHRA tells surgeons to stop using R3 metal cup liner and extends patient monitoring advice : MHRA « Earl's View
Pingback: Bone Cement Implantation Syndrome « Earl's View
Pingback: Earl's View