Zimmer Durom Cup Hip Implant
Since 2006, as many as 13,000 Americans have received the Zimmer Durom Cup hip implant. The medical device is primarily used in this country for Total Hip Arthroplasty (THA). In a THA procedure, the surgeon removes the damaged hip joint and replaces it with a hip prosthesis consisting of a ball component and a socket that has an insert or liner. In the case of the Zimmer Durom Cup implant, all components of the device are metal.
Zimmer marketed its Durom hip replacement device for use in younger patients, claiming the metal contact was more durable than a traditional hip implant. In reality, however, the implants were far more likely than most to require revision surgery after a very short time. Zimmer temporarily suspended sales of the hip implant in 2008 after a warning from renowned hip surgeon Dr. Larry Dorr, a former Zimmer consultant and the Director of the Dorr Institute for Arthritis Research and Education. According to Dr. Dorr’s own experience implanting the Zimmer Durom Cup in 165 hips:
A recent study from the University of Wisconsin compared the relative progress one year after surgery of groups of patients receiving different devices for total hip replacement. In that time, while none of the more modern hip implants failed, the Zimmer Durom Cup demonstrated an alarming 11% failure rate. The Durom Cup recipients reported that their pain and discomfort were no better after the hip surgery than before.
With a national presence and a wealth of experience representing clients injured by dangerous products and unsafe medical devices, Waters, Kraus & Paul provides aggressive representation throughout the entire course of litigation. To learn more about legal representation at Waters, Kraus & Paul, or to have one of our attorneys review your potential Zimmer Durom Cup hip implant case, email us or call 800.226.9880.
- MHRA Advises Metal Hip Implant Patients Need Life-Long Checks: AttorneyOne.com Warns the Threat from Zimmer Durom Cup Severe Adverse Events Remains (prweb.com)
- The US Drug Watchdog Now Demands Action from the US FDA on the Metal on Metal Hip Implant Disaster for US Citizens-Ever Hear of Cobalt or Chromium Blood Poisoning? (prweb.com)
- Hip Replacement Crisis in Europe Causes Demand for Medical Device Registry (earlsview.com)
- MHRA Advises Metal Hip Implant Patients Need Life-Long Checks:… (prweb.com)
- Zimmer Hip Lawsuit | Zimmer Hip Replacement Problems Lawsuit (earlsview.com)
- US Drug Watchdog Now Offers to Help All Recipients of a DePuy ASR or a DePuy Pinnacle Implant Failure Get to the Best Possible Attorneys-Why Get Left Holding The Bag? (prweb.com)
- Metal-on-Metal Hip Implants – Advisories, Warnings & Recalls for the public (earlsview.com)
- US Drug Watchdog Now Offers To Help All Recalled DePuy ASR Hip Implant Recipients (earlsview.com)
- Metal-on-Metal Hip Implants > Concerns about Metal-on-Metal Hip Implant Systems (earlsview.com)
- Metal-Free, High-Tech Composite Hip Implant – TMD – Today’s Medical Developments (earlsview.com)