American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, complications, Health, Hospital, Knee, knee replacement, Medicine, Patient, surgery, UNited States
Study: Higher Total Knee Replacement Volume Linked to Fewer Complications.
Study: Higher Total Knee Replacement Volume Linked to Fewer Complications
Written by Sabrina Rodak | May 10, 2012
Surgeons who performed more total knee replacements tended to have shorter lengths of stay, shorter operating times and fewer complications compared with surgeons who performed fewer knee replacements, according to a study in Health Affairs.
Five hospitals under the High Value Healthcare Collaborative, a consortium of health systems, used administrative data to study differences in their delivery of primary total knee replacements. They found significant variation in surgery times, hospital lengths of stay, discharge dispositions, and in-hospital complication rates.
In addition to the association of higher case load with lower surgery times, lengths of stay and complication rates, the hospitals found several practices that were associated with better outcomes. Hospitals with the lowest in-hospital complication rate had an outpatient preoperative approach that used a multispecialty evaluation of the patient and used a multidisciplinary inpatient comanagement approach. The hospital with the shortest operating time was the only hospital that used a dedicated operating room team for total knee replacements.
More Articles on Knee Procedures:
Dr. Neal ElAttrache Performs Knee Surgery on Bucks’ Luc Richard Mbah a Moute
Knee Arthroscopy & Chondroplasty Coding Changes for 2012
OMNIlife Receives Patents for Robotic Knee Surgery Devices
- Prolific surgeon leads way as Fremont hospital rides wave in joint replacements (mercurynews.com)
- Surgeon leading way in joint-replacement surge (photos.mercurynews.com)
- 30-Year Knee Replacement Changes Local Woman’s Life (pittsburgh.cbslocal.com)
- Cell Therapy May Replace Knee Replacement (prweb.com)
- Older Patients with Chronic Conditions Have Greater Risk of Problems and Death Following Bilateral Knee Replacement (ahrq.gov)
- Dallas Orthopaedic Surgeons Offer Minimally-Invasive Custom Knee Replacement (prweb.com)
- Knee Replacements Booming, But Lack Oversight, Study Says (aarp.org)
- Experts specialize in subvastus knee replacement in Asheboro NC (bestasheboroorthopedicsurgeon.wordpress.com)
- What’s It Like: To get knee replacement surgery (newsok.com)
- Knee Replacements Double in 10 Years, Study Says – ABC News (blog) (abcnews.go.com)
- 4.5 million Americans living with total knee replacement (medicalxpress.com)
- Knee Replacements On Shaky Scientific Ground (blogs.scientificamerican.com)
- Are All Knee Replacements Really Safe And Effective? Study Says Maybe Not (huffingtonpost.com)
- More Than 4 Million Americans Have New Knee (news.health.com)
- Chicago-area Orthopaedic Surgeon David Butler Presents Advancements in Total Hip and Knee Replacement on Wednesday, Nov. 10 in Orland Park, Illinois (prweb.com)
Pingback: Exercise Heals at Any Age – Room for Debate – NYTimes.com « Earl's View
Pingback: MELODIKA.net – Returning Patients to Active Lives with Joint Revision Surgery « Earl's View
Pingback: Eric Bohm: Let’s Treat Our Hips the Same Way We Treat Our Cars « Earl's View
Pingback: Pioneering knee replacement for arthritis sufferer.. « Earl's View
Pingback: Knee Replacement Patients Should Consider Nickel Allergies before Surgery | NewsInferno « Earl's View
Pingback: Knee Replacement | Knee Pain Treatment « Earl's View
Pingback: gulftoday.ae | No (k)need to go abroad « Earl's View