By Carlos Santiago
Many women who were suffering from Pelvic Organ Prolapse (POP) or Stress Urinary Incontinence (STI) sought medical help to receive treatment for these serious and damaging health complications. In an effort to help these women, many medical professionals turned to surgical mesh, particularly transvaginal mesh, to strengthen the weakened and damaged muscles and tissues that cause these health problems. However, as this method saw greater use, reports began to surface regarding the negative effects that transvaginal mesh can have on the women in whom it’s implanted.
Initially, in 2008 the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) issued a statement regarding the possible damaging effects of using transvaginal mesh. This initial report stated that the effects were rare and medical professionals should be careful in using this method to treat POP or STI. Unfortunately, more recently, it has been discovered that these damaging consequences of using transvaginal mesh are, in fact, not rare, but affect thousands of women across the country. Sadly, many of those affected have been forced to deal with the following health problems:
- Pain (particularly during sexual intercourse)
- Erosion of the mesh
- Perforation of internal organs
- Vaginal scarring
- Emotional trauma
As such, in an effort to prevent women from suffering from these serious complications, the FDA has issued a report warning medical professionals of the potential dangers of utilizing this treatment method and recommending weighing risk factors and the possibility of using other, more effective treatments.
Unfortunately, many women received this unsafe medical device before the dangers of transvaginal mesh were fully known. As a result, many women who have suffered these traumatizing repercussions have chosen to file a transvaginal mesh lawsuit, seeking financial recompense for the undue pain and suffering they have endured. The consequences that a failed transvaginal mesh implant can have are severe and those women who are considering undergoing such a surgery should consider these dangers before moving forward.
- US Drug Watchdog Now Urges All Victims Of The Transvaginal Mesh Or Tape Failure To Call Them For The Names Of National Caliber Attorneys – Who Are All Women (prweb.com)
- US Drug Watchdog Expands Their Initiative For All US Women Victims Of A Transvaginal Mesh Or Tape Failure That Includes Top Lawyers– Who Are All Women- We Care (prweb.com)
- US Drug Watchdog Now Urges All Woman Stuck With A Transvaginal Mesh Failure To Call Them For The Names Of The Best Possible Attorneys – And All Of The Lawyers Will Be Women (prweb.com)
- Where are the Transvaginal Mesh Studies Requested by the FDA? – Florida Mass Tort Attorneys, Lawyers | Searcy Mass Torts (earlsview.com)
- Declining Quality of Transvaginal Mesh (jonesalicia.typepad.com)
- Johnson & Johnson facing massive class action – ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) (earlsview.com)
- FDA to Investigate Transvaginal Mesh Injuries (transvaginalmesh.typepad.com)
- Tennessee Woman Says that Transvaginal Mesh Manufactured by C.R. Bard, Boston Scientific Caused Injuries; Lawsuit Alleges that the Pelvic Devices are Defective (virtual-strategy.com)
- Studies About the Vaginal Mesh Implant (stacienadeau.wordpress.com)
- Raising Awareness: Pelvic Organ Prolapse and Surgical Mesh (clearinspiration.wordpress.com)