dangerous loophole, Database, Ed Markey, FDA, Federal Food Drug and Cosmetic Act, Food & Drug Administration, Jeffrey Shuren, Massachusetts, Medical device, premarket notification, science, Technology
Dems urge FDA to boost medtech recall database | MassDevice.com On Call | MassDevice – Medical Device Industry News.
Dems urge FDA to boost medtech recall database | MassDevice.com On Call
August 17, 2012 by MassDevice staff
A duo of Democrats urge the FDA to “overhaul and streamline” recall and 510(k) databases to ensure new products aren’t winning clearance on flawed designs.
MASSDEVICE ON CALL — Congressmen Rep. Edward Markey (D-Mass.) and Sen. Jeff Merkely (D-Ore.) called on the FDA to “overhaul and streamline” its recalls and 510(k) premarket notification database.
The legislators want the FDA to ensure that the data is “publicly available and easily searchable” so that it better serves the needs of medical device reviewers, manufacturers and patients, according to a letter they jointly issued to FDA medical devices director Dr. Jeffrey Shuren.
“Current law requires FDA to clear a device shown to be substantially equivalent to a predicate, even in cases where the new product contains the same flaws as an earlier model,” the pair wrote. “Database improvements would enhance the transparency of the 510(k) process and help manufacturers avoid using recalled devices as predicates that may put their own devices at risk for future enforcement action.”
Ultimately the lawmakers hope to see the FDA gain the authority to reject medical devices which rely on recalled devices as predicates, but in the meantime hope that making recall data more accessible and transparent will “enhance awareness among the public and medical professionals of the potential dangers of medical devices that are based on flawed predicates,” according to the letter.
- Medical Device ” The Senate Passes Unparalleled Medical Device User Fee Act (earlsview.com)
- Forget Asking For A Link Exchange (leftistmoderatespeak.com)
- Rottenstein Law Group Applauds FDA Device Chief’s Recommendation To Close Dangerous Loophole In Agency’s Medical-Device Approval Process (prweb.com)
- FDA Proposes New Rule That Would Require Medical Devices Such as Surgical Mesh to Carry Unique Device Identifier (earlsview.com)
- FDA releases proposed UDI rule; reaction generally positive (earlsview.com)
- Shifting Income Sources of the Aged (leftistmoderatespeak.com)
- FDA – Overview of Medical Device Regulation > Information about MDUFA III (earlsview.com)
- Medical Device ID Proposal Unveiled – GovInfoSecurity (earlsview.com)
- FDA to help medical device sales with expanded pre-market feedback program (earlsview.com)
- The eDiscovery Paradigm Shift: The Legal Profession Found the Twenty-First Century: Ignorance is bliss no longer (leftistmoderatespeak.com)
Pingback: Pre Market Approval – Why does the Law shelter Smith & Nephew & others like them? « Earl's View
Pingback: FDA Aims To Smooth Premarket Review process | Bloomberg BNA « Earl's View
Pingback: » Medical device units recalled in Q2 represent eight-quarter high | MedCity News « Earl's View
Pingback: The FDA is there to protect patients? Bullsh*t … « Earl's View