DePuy ASR Hip Settlements. Rottenstein Law Group
Both law firm web sites and mass media articles detailing the metal-on-metal hip implant debacle often report that Johnson & Johnson has set aside $3 billion to settle the 3,000 ASR hip replacement lawsuits pending against it. These statements are presumably based on J&J’s 2011 fourth-quarter earnings report, which accounts for $3 billion worth of charges “largely related to the recall of its defective [ASR] artificial hips,” according to a January 2012 Reuters article.
“The  fourth-quarter charges will allow money to be set aside for patients and lawyers involved in ongoing product liability litigation,” the January 2012 Reuters article goes on to report, later detailing that “ the array of  fourth-quarter charges include $800 million for medical costs of the recall.”
Whatever the exact amount of the settlement funds reserved for ASR victims by J&J, it’s definitely more than what the company is planning to offer patients who have been hurt by the Pinnacle implant, another of the company’s metal-on-metal hip replacements. Johnson & Johnson “is fighting complaints related to the Pinnacle device—meaning that patients with virtually identical problems are facing different financial burdens,” a July 2012 Reuters article reports.
The article goes on to compare the experiences of two patients: “Frances,” who had surgery to repair a fracture to her hip caused by the ASR implant, and “Harriet,” who developed the same symptoms as Frances: pain, limited mobility and elevated levels of cobalt and chromium in her blood. Harriet’s left hip fractured at the implant site, requiring surgery.
While Frances was “reimbursed for most of her out-of-pocket expenses and could be eligible for some of the settlement funds,” Harriet “has received no compensation for the repair from J&J,” according to Reuters.
Harriet’s cause isn’t a lost one just because J&J hasn’t offered her settlement money, however. She is reportedly suing the company to recover the compensation she’s entitled to.
The lawyers of the Rottenstein Law Group understand how frustrating the process of seeking compensation for an injury can be. RLG was founded by Rochelle Rottenstein, who has been practicing law for 25 years and has extensive experience with consumer injury, mass tort, and class action lawsuits—that is, helping clients like you.
The lawyers of the Rottenstein Law Group have been through the process of demanding satisfaction from big companies time and time again. But even though we’ve done this countless times, it’s never routine for us. And it certainly isn’t familiar to you. Our experience has taught us that victims of dangerous products have to deal with enough uncertainty and fear—more than enough. You don’t need a law firm exploiting your fears. You need, and you deserve, a law firm that will treat you with respect.
If you let the Rottenstein Law Group know that you’ve been harmed and might be entitled to compensation, you’ll get a phone call from the firm and we will discuss your case with you. Then, when you become a client of the firm, you’ll always be able to communicate directly with a lawyer by phone or email, and you’ll get prompt responses to your questions. You’ll also get frequent updates—not just about your case, but also about news related to the product that caused you harm. You’ll never feel like you’ve been forgotten or left alone. Even if RLG believes that it would be best for your case to add a second firm to help with your suit, you’ll always be able to contact us.
The Rottenstein Law Group knows that you’ve suffered. You shouldn’t have to go through more trouble to be compensated. RLG will be with you at every step of the process of demanding satisfaction, which we will make as efficient as possible. Read more about our lawyers.
You’ve taken enough. We’ll take it from here.
- Bernstein Liebhard LLP Launches Stryker Hip Recall Lawyer Website – SFGate (earlsview.com)
- Smith And Nephew Hip Replacement Recall Lawsuit Attorney (earlsview.com)
- Rottenstein Law Group Heeds Common Benefit Order in DePuy ASR MDL (prweb.com)
- Rottenstein Law Group Encouraged by FDA’s Proposed Rule Establishing a Unique Device Identification System (prweb.com)
- Rottenstein Law Group Heeds Latest Order in DePuy ASR Multidistrict Litigation (prweb.com)
- US Drug Watchdog Now Offers To Help All Recalled DePuy ASR Hip Implant Recipients (earlsview.com)
- DePuy ASR Hip Implant Failures Mount, with Devastating Effects (blogs.lawyers.com)
- US Drug Watchdog Warns All Recipients Of The DePuy ASR Hip Implant To Not Give Up Their Rights If The Received A Broadspire Letter & Suggests Top Attorneys For A Review (prweb.com)
- US Drug Watchdog Now Offers To Provide The Contacts For the Best Possible Law Firms For Recipients Of The Recalled DePuy ASR Hip Implant-No One Gets Left Behind (prweb.com)
- The US Drug Watchdog Now Offers To Find The Best Possible Attorneys For All Recipients Of The Recalled DePuy ASR Hip Metal on Metal Hip Implant-Before Time Runs Out (prweb.com)
- ‘Toxic’ hip replacement fears – Health – Belfast Newsletter (earlsview.com)
- US Drug Watchdog Will Now Help All Recipients of the Recalled DePuy ASR Hip Implant Get to the Best Possible Attorneys Even if the Hip Implant Has Not Yet Failed (prweb.com)
- Justice for Hip Failures: DePuy ASR Recall: Nearly 16,800 adverse events reported for metal-on-metal hips, including DePuy ASR and Biomet Magnum (earlsview.com)
- DePuy Hip Litigation (kellymcloughlin.com)
- Thousands Must Have Second Operation to Replace Defective DePuy Hip (blogs.lawyers.com)