Stryker Recalls ABG II and Rejuvenate Modular-Neck Stems for Risks Posed by Corrosion and Wear
July 12, 2012
Stryker Orthopaedics has recalled two modular neck stem models for hip implants because of the risk of corrosion and wear, which can cause tissue damage. The devices are the modular-neck hip stems ABG II and Rejuvenate. The risks posed by corrosion can lead to hip implant failure.
Pain and swelling at the implant site may indicate adverse tissue reactions caused by the hip implant devices. If you have pain and swelling, you should contact your surgeon immediately.
The neck stems contain metal-on-metal components. These components are susceptible to corrosion and to abrading against one another. Wear and corrosion at the modular-neck junction can cause metal debris and ions to be released into the joint area. The presence of these materials in your body can lead to adverse tissue reactions, including:
- Metallosis, inflammation around metal particles
- Necrosis, death of the tissue
- Osteolysis, which leads to bone loss
- Severe pain
- Allergic reaction for people with metal sensitivity
Adverse tissue reactions and complications caused by corrosion can lead to premature hip implant failure and the necessity for revision surgery.
Stryker decided to recall the modular-neck stems based on post-market data, according to a news release on the FDA website. This data showed that a percentage of patients had to have revision surgeries, possibly due to corrosion and wear at the modular-neck junction.
Stryker’s recall website
A Brief History of Total Hip Arthroplasty and Arthro Prosthetic Cobaltism
Depuy ASR Hip Implants Recalled
A Brief Background of Metallosis – Cobaltism and Metal-on-Metal Hip Implants
Were you affected? Click Here for a free case evaluation!
- STRYKER REJUVENATE HIP IMPLANT RECALLED | West Palm Beach Personal Injury Attorneys Blog (earlsview.com)
- Stryker recalls two metal-on-metal hip products for fear of corrosion (earlsview.com)
- Stryker Issues U.S. and Canada Recall for Rejuvenate Modular Hip Device (defectivedruganddeviceresourcecenter.com)
- Stryker Recalls Some Hip Implant Products (detroit.cbslocal.com)
- Stryker Recalls Two Metal-on-Metal Hip Components Due to Corrosion Concerns (prweb.com)
- Defective Hip Implant Lawyers Offer Free Case Reviews for Stryker Hip Implant Claims (prweb.com)
- Rottenstein Law Group Publicizes Stryker Metal-on-Metal Hip Implants Recall (prweb.com)
- Stryker recalls two metal-on-metal hip products for fear of corrosion (medcitynews.com)
- Stryker Initiates Voluntary Product Recall of Modular-Neck Stems Action Specific to Rejuvenate and ABG II Modular-Neck Stems (fda.gov)
- Stryker recalls hip replacement devices (bizjournals.com)